• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lurch's Training Thread

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Just starting this thread to continue the conversation from another thread that got off it's original topic. Please feel free to add in your comments :)

I thought we would keep it a public thread because others might like to follow the progress.

So picking up where we left off...

It really sounded like Lurch had a fun a positive night working on coming in and out of his cage for treats. It also sounds like Lurch has been scared by sticks and hands in the passed.

I would just keep building on the progress he is making. When he gets good about going in I would close the door for a few seconds and see if you can talk nicely to him and see if he will take another treat. Then let him out again and see if you can get him to go back, this time don't close the door. You want to vary what you do so that he get used to the idea that if he goes back in it may or may not be for the night. When it really is time to go in for the night or for an extended time I would make sure you just spend a few minutes talking to him scratching his head or interacting, give him a few more treats anything to show him that going to his cage isn't a totally the end of the fun.

One more thought on using treats as rewards. You should make them really small, that way he can finish them off quickly and will be ready to work for more. Also he will not fill up as quickly. I use a chopped and offer little bits of nuts to my birds. You can use apple or cheese. It should be one bite that he can gobble up and does not need to transfer to his foot to eat.

The exception to this for my birds is when they do go back to their cages and I am leaving I give them a bigger treat that will take them longer to eat because I think they deserve a big reward and because it keeps them busy while I take my leave. I use 1/2 - 1/4 of an almond or cashew or 1 pistachio. It is 4-6 bites I would guess. By making it a really big incentive that they only get at that time it make them really cooperate and respond quickly when I take out the treats.

Keep up the good work :) And post some pics of that good birdie of your :)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Yeah, whether he's good or bad we tend to drop a few nutri berries in so he has something good to munch on once he calms down so he gets the idea that high value treats show up that he can work on a while.
We do tend to talk to him no matter what as well so maybe he'll calm down at least and not be upset the day is ending. Like I said Nerd would go in when he was ready and had no problem with us closing his door. Unless Lurch is really settled in he'll try to run out again so most nights we just wait till he's half asleep or sleeping and walk up quietly and close the door.
Small treats is a good idea I think because big ones he gets distracted and drops them for another or to argue about going in anyways and why waste them.
I also think the going in thing will be a slow battle till he realizes it's OK, fun starts again the next day, and he's tired anyways.
We also cover him at night, we didn't with Nerd but we never did with Nerd and he was fine with it, other then getting excited and noisy on nice summer mornings when the sun came up :geek:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well been trying just sitting on the carpet by his front door and doing the treats. It seems to short out his cage aggression and not wanting to go to bed a bit as he tends to come down the side, then maybe jump on mu knees for the treat. Sometimes after that he'll go inside, other times he runs back up top but usually if I give up shortly after he goes in on his own once I've left. I THINK not standing tall in front of his cage tends to also make him less aggressive as it's less like we're going to battle till you go in thing.
He really liked the popcorn but now has cooled down on it a bit so have to keep finding and swapping high value treats so he gets excited enough to come down and play along. Got some pics of him munching popcorn happily I have to downsize and upload

Attachments

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Last night of course he wanted on me as I tried to leave for a shower so we went back and forth a few times and finally I let him stay and gently walked over to his house and sat down on the carpet in front of his door and scratched him and grabbed some walnuts. Put one on my knee and he eventually worked down my arm and onto my knee to eat it after running up on top.
I grabbed some more and he calmly grabbed them one after the other to eat on top. Finally he had one and couldn't decide to run up again or go inside and was still calm so I very gently blocked his way up and he went in without trying to bite and threaten. :dance4:
After that I closed the door and told him what a good bird he was and scratched his head. A bit after he realized he was inside and got upset but eventually allowed a few short scratches and good boys. :) More baby steps :cool:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Last night of course he wanted on me as I tried to leave for a shower so we went back and forth a few times and finally I let him stay and gently walked over to his house and sat down on the carpet in front of his door and scratched him and grabbed some walnuts. Put one on my knee and he eventually worked down my arm and onto my knee to eat it after running up on top.
I grabbed some more and he calmly grabbed them one after the other to eat on top. Finally he had one and couldn't decide to run up again or go inside and was still calm so I very gently blocked his way up and he went in without trying to bite and threaten. :dance4:
After that I closed the door and told him what a good bird he was and scratched his head. A bit after he realized he was inside and got upset but eventually allowed a few short scratches and good boys. :) More baby steps :cool:
Sounds like you are making progress :) That's great! Routine really is a big thing to so if you can build up some habits slowly with him that will help to.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Yeah, he really values his Toast time with my sister when she has her days off, only reason she found out is his cage used to be by the kitchen at our old house and he started begging and saying toast in his pirate voice when he saw her having some :rofl:
I do think the sitting on the floor by his door calmly with my knees up helps as he loves sitting on knees and it's less like bedtime that way so he seems a bit less pissy and like I said he usually goes in on his own shortly after the lets share treats by your door at bedtime sessions.
He gets tired anyways but just hates to have the out time end. Sometimes in the evening he'll be sitting on the recliner arm we like to share and can barely keep his eyes open, but try to get him to go in and he wakes right up :rolleyes: Wish he was more like Nerd used to be, get on my hand and go in, or just go in when he was tired and wait for the door to be closed.
He's on my shoulder right now so no loud typing and lucky he can't read... :cool: