• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lupron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Jasper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elizabeth
Lupron is a hormonal drug sometimes given to parrots as a purpose to experimentally prevent overly-hormonal behavior and destructive behavior due to hormonal affective disorders. Lupron (leuprolide) overstimulates the body's production of certain hormones, which causes that production to shut down temporarily. It reduces the amount of testosterone in men or estrogen in women. Lupron is a synthetic medication, meaning it is not natural or derived from nature. It is produced in a laboratory (like all other pharmaceutical drugs) from chemicals thought to mirror or act in likeness of a natural hormone. When you read that Lupron has been approved for certain diseases and afflictions it under no circumstances means that the drug has been effective in treating or curing those ailments.

I am extremely alarmed every time I read that anyone would ever allow a parrot to be treated with Lupron, regardless of hormonal circumstances. I have never read that Lupron has been effective in any treatment of any ailment in a parrot and have often read that it, in fact, had made issues severely worse on many occasions. I would like to HIGHLY caution those of you even considering this method and to encourage you as deeply and passionately as I can to instead seek natural, environmental and holistic methods of resolving the issue. In most of the cases I have seen with overly hormonal birds, birds that resort to feather-picking, birds that are destructive, altering their environment, changing their diet to the most minute detail, rearranging their routine and interaction is the most effective way of helping them adjust to living within the confines of a human's habitat.

Please, before your veterinarian convinces you to experiment on your bird with a synthetic drug that is NOT meant for parrots (and hardly even meant for people) I urge you to explore natural methods to aid your companion bird in living a happy, healthy life.

You can read more about the side effects, studies, background and truth of Lupron here:

All about Lupron – what you don’t know can harm you(and your bird)
"Lupron causes irreversible side effects and permanent severely disabling health problems. ... TAP intentionally suppressed knowledge about the real dangers associated with the use of Lupron. ... Prescribers and patients were misled. ... In fact, Lupron causes irreversible damage to the human body and the development of chronic disabling diseases. ..."

Lupron Information from Drugs.com
"Lupron can cause birth defects. Long-term use of this medication may decrease bone density, possibly leading to osteoporosis. "

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Great post. I don't like any kind of drug therapy for a perfectly natural behavior that just happens to be out of control. It's not an illness.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
My Cut-throat Finch went on Lupron for his testicular tumour. I thought Lupron was good for chronic egg layers and for those birds with testicular tumours...?

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
I've been having to take Lupron because of my cancer and the side effects and way it makes me feel SUCK! I cannot even imagine giving this to a bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.