• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lump on my birds foot

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can you just have another check of your little guys ankle? To me it looks like there may be another little boo boo healing there just at the bottom of the feather we see in this latest pic.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I personally wouldn't use the Johnson's disinfectant. Aside from anything else, it's heavily scented which isn't great for birds' sensitive respiratory systems. There are much better alternatives like F10 with which you know exactly what you're getting.

It's really easy to get F10 in the UK. I buy mine from Scarlett's Parrot Essentials but Northern Parrots also carries it. I recommend buying a little bottle of the SC (super concentrate) and making it up in a spray bottle to the recommended dilution. You only need 2 or 4 ml per litre so it works out much cheaper to buy the concentrated F10 than to buy a bottle of the already diluted liquid.

Last edited:

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
Can you just have another check of your little guys ankle? To me it looks like there may be another little boo boo healing there just at the bottom of the feather we see in this latest pic.
I checked his ankle and he does have a small sore - I’ve rang the vets and they have said that I should email them pictures of the sore, and they will see if he needs to be checked over or if they can just give me some treatment (possible antibiotics) to allow the sores to heal. I’m just waiting for them to email me back.

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
I personally wouldn't use the Johnson's disinfectant. Aside from anything else, it's heavily scented which isn't great for birds' sensitive respiratory systems. There are much better alternatives like F10 with which you know exactly what you're getting.

It's really easy to get F10 in the UK. I buy mine from Scarlett's Parrot Essentials but Northern Parrots also carries it. I recommend buying a little bottle of the SC (super concentrate) and making it up in a spray bottle to the recommended dilution. You only need 2 or 4 ml per litre so it works out much cheaper to buy the concentrated F10 than to buy a bottle of the already diluted liquid.
I’m going to switch to F10 definitely then.

When I use Johnson’s clean and safe, I know it has a heavy scent that can harm their respiratory systems - but when I use it, I always allow it to sit for a few minutes and then I clear it away with warm water. If I clear it away, does it still impact his respiratory system?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you wash it off you're removing the scent, but you're also washing away the disinfectant. I don't know if a few minutes is sufficient to kill what you want it to kill. For example, this report into F10's efficiency against avian influenza exposed the virus to F10 for 10 and 20 minutes: https://www.f10products.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2018/07/THHa92.pdf

Regular F10 is safe to spray and leave on the surface, which is what I do. The cleaner (I believe that's marked with a XD) contains detergents which should be washed off.

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
If you wash it off you're removing the scent, but you're also washing away the disinfectant. I don't know if a few minutes is sufficient to kill what you want it to kill. For example, this report into F10's efficiency against avian influenza exposed the virus to F10 for 10 and 20 minutes: https://www.f10products.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2018/07/THHa92.pdf

Regular F10 is safe to spray and leave on the surface, which is what I do. The cleaner (I believe that's marked with a XD) contains detergents which should be washed off.
No problem, I will use F10 from now on definitely. I managed to book an appointment for the vet, but due to COVID-19, the earliest they can book me in is on Thursday. :)

Also to add - is Epsom salt diluted in water a good way to clean his feet/clean the sores if he gets them dirty. He got his feet covered in poop today and I didn't know how to clean it off effectively without irritating the sores. Or should I just stick to just bathing his feet in water when they get dirty?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am not certain if I am right or not but I honestly would not be comfortable using Epsom salt on a bird unless a vet instructed it. Epsom salt can cause severe diarrhoea if ingested. I would only use plain clean water till the vet tells you otherwise.

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
I am not certain if I am right or not but I honestly would not be comfortable using Epsom salt on a bird unless a vet instructed it. Epsom salt can cause severe diarrhoea if ingested. I would only use plain clean water till the vet tells you otherwise.
Okay Thankyou, when I go to the vet I will ask them if I should use it before I put on any antibiotics/tropical creams if they give me any. M

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone,

To update you all, I went to the local avian vet and they said that it is an early stage bumblefoot and that I took all the right steps to heal it (prevent it from getting worse by softening everything and bathing his foot in warm water for around 30 seconds).

They said it was healed but to prevent the sores from getting infected, they prescribed me some anti-inflammatory medicine which has been working well so far.

Thankyou all for your helpful advice (pictures of what his foot looks like now are below) :laugh:

56A654C8-018F-42C4-9DAF-DEC9A2A0F698.jpeg

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wonderful progress, your birds foot looks great! I’m glad you were able to get to the vet. Was it an anti inflammatory or an antibiotic that the vet prescribed?

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
Wonderful progress, your birds foot looks great! I’m glad you were able to get to the vet. Was it an anti inflammatory or an antibiotic that the vet prescribed?
The vet said it was an anti-inflammatory and not an antibiotic. It’s supposed to be used on other animals, but it’s used on birds for an anti-inflammatory. He takes 0.3ml via a syringe.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The vet said it was an anti-inflammatory and not an antibiotic. It’s supposed to be used on other animals, but it’s used on birds for an anti-inflammatory. He takes 0.3ml via a syringe.
Just so you know and don't think he is safe from infections because of the medication you are giving...... anti inflammatory medication will stop no infections at all, they are designed to help with swelling and inflammation not bacteria etc. Just mentioning in case you were not sure of the difference between anti inflammatory meds and antibiotics.
I do actually know of some one who was so confused why an infection on their dog was not healing up with the constant supply of anti inflammatory they were giving as they did not understand the difference between the two medications.

That foot is looking so much better already!! Good job :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Wow... what a difference! You're doing a great job. I'm appreciative of quality close up photos!

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
Just so you know and don't think he is safe from infections because of the medication you are giving...... anti inflammatory medication will stop no infections at all, they are designed to help with swelling and inflammation not bacteria etc. Just mentioning in case you were not sure of the difference between anti inflammatory meds and antibiotics.
I do actually know of some one who was so confused why an infection on their dog was not healing up with the constant supply of anti inflammatory they were giving as they did not understand the difference between the two medications.

That foot is looking so much better already!! Good job :)
Sorry haha I must have gotten confused. I remember the vet told me that he doesn’t need any antibiotics as the sore is healed up now, and can’t get infected (unless it opens up again). And due to the sore still being slightly swollen, she gave me anti-inflammatory. :D