• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lucas pawpaw on a bird butt

leelumz92

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all - first time poster.

I have a small sparrow, I found her when she was a baby with the start of pin feathers over 10 years ago and seeking advice. Before anyone has any negative views on me owning a sparrow, please go elsewhere.

Is paw paw ointment bad for bird skin?

A bit of background, a year ago I took Rodney to a vet as she was bleeding out her butt, after a poop smear it was found she had giardia. She went through 2 courses of antibiotics and she got better- mostly. Whereas she has been able to poop, there is buildup that dries and makes her uncomfortable. Recently (this past month) her butt has been bleeding again and I got her on another course of antibiotics and now the poop build up is getting worse and I think is now the reason her butt bleeds as it tears skin or she over preens. I have been washing her butt manually which seems to have stopped the bleeding. Since finding out she got giardia, she has only gotten bottled water that has been boiled in a kettle and her cage regularly cleaned and swapped out for a sterile one. In the last year she has gone down from 27.4gms to 24.8gms, but in the last 2 weeks has gained another 0.1 gms with a lot of spoiling with treats, as well as dissolving a concoction of vitamins and probiotics in her water. Aside from the weight loss and the poop issues, she is energetic, eating, and drinking.

Does anyone have any advice? The only vet I have found that will see her is 350km away from me and cannot do any further testing due to her size.

Bird tax of the little she-beast attached

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to Avian Avenue,

@iamwhoiam also rescued a fledgling sparrow.

I do not know about what you could put there. Hopefully other members may know...
@April

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When Spee had sores on his leg I was given a cream ointment by his holistic vet. Have no idea what it was but it worked. When the vet passed away and I could no longer get that cream I started using Vetericyn antimicrobial hydrogel as needed. Would not spray it on the area but would put a very small amount on a cotton ball or q-tip and gently apply. If she picks at the area or licks it she might ingest some of it and that might not be a good thing so would be best to check with a vet. She is very cute, btw.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I remember now that I mainly used something called Avi-vera although I sometimes did use the vetericyn. Avi-vera does not seem to be available any more but I did find this:

I believe Avi-vera was also a spray but, just like with the vetericyn, I did not spray it directly onto an area. Instead I applied a small amount to a cotton ball or q-tip and then treated the area.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No advice, but she is a cutie.