• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lovebirds Eye

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
I just checked on my birds this morning and saw that Tweety seemed to have her one eye shut. Took her out to inspect further and it seems that her eye is hazy/foggy and her cornea MOST DEFINITELY is not round like her other eye. I had to grab her to take a photo because she didn't like me touching her eye. Called the vet. Earliest appointment I could get was tomorrow. Before I go - can anyone possibly tell me what it is?? My suspicions are that she must have physically damaged it. Please help :(:(

Tweety's Eye  - Album on Imgur

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Keep her quiet, warm and hydrated.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cataract? Let us know what the vet says. Sending prayers..:hug8:

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
Its not a cataract. She's too young for that... I'm thinking more along the lines with something to do with her third eyelid? Hopefully the vet can confirm tmr.

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
Just been to the vet and it turns out Tweety will remain partially blind in her right eye. Vet attempted to cleanse the eye and then gently move the third eyelid using the solution but nothing would budge. She told me my only option was to either leave her like this, in no pain, or she could attempt surgery but the success rate wasn't too great (as lovebirds are smaller - chances aren't as high). Tweety has only become stable as of recent so my immediate thought was "No, if she's in no pain and the risks are higher, I'll leave her as she likes it." Thought I was doing that right thing at the time but I'm doubting myself now. Does anyone have any thoughts on the situation?

Also turns out that Tweety's bumblefoot hasn't been getting better (hasn't been getting worse either though), so the antibiotics were useless. I now need to also order some vet wrap to cover all the perches in her cage. Also, seeing as her eyesight isn't the best, should I get some platform perches?

Thank you for your input in advance.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Thank you for the update.

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
Wonder if a second opinion by another vet would be something to do.
I'm definitely thinking about going to another clinic nearby me just for a quick second opinion.

Symptoms & Treatment of Bumblefoot in Parrots - Hari
She does indeed have Grade 1 bumblefoot which is not too bad, but I am wrapping all the perches (after I can get my hands on the wrap).

Would such a setup be beneficial for her?:
6501425413_e82e44245e.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If she is having difficulty climbing you may want to look at cages with horizontal rather than vertical bars. I had a bird with gout which affected her foot but I have no experience with bumblefoot. I would think that cage set up would work but I would wrap the wire sundeck (wire platform in the back of the cage). Looks like they put something in between the gaps in that ladder or maybe the ladder came like that.

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
I am going to wrap the wire sundeck - just waiting on an order of more fleece to arrive :)
She's still in the old cage currently and doesn't seem to mind the bars - more of a flyer than a climber she is ;)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wash the fleece before you use it and check to see if it is anti or no pilling. That's the safest type to use with our birds.