• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird(s) question

Sam-wow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
my sister in law found a lovebird on her doorstep, literally ! She is an animal lover so of course she welcomed the little guy that the stork dropped off. She did try and see if anyone had lost a bird, but nobody responded. After a little research, she bought another lovebird to bond with. I think she originally tried to put them in the same cage but that did not work out to well. She bought another cage and then kept them next to each other. Soooooo, she sent a video to us the other day and was wondering if one bird regurgitating food for the other one was a good thing. I told her very excitedly that was a great thing ! It was so awesome, the one was feeding the other through the bars of the cage. I never seen that before so it was pretty cool to watch.
My question is , are they ready to share a cage now ? If so, how does she go about putting them together ?

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I would of first let an av check Them to make sure they have diseases/illnesses... Especially the one that Came from outside!

Sam-wow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
Yes. I wish I would have known then what I know now. Fortunately things worked out for the best.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I would of first let an av check Them to make sure they Dont have diseases/illnesses... Especially the one that Came from outside!Also a DNA test to know genders... Cause If they are both females they could Attack/kill each other! Males aren't aggressive at all usually! And If they are a True pair (Male/female)!raising chicks Its a hard work! I wouldn't put them Together! I would put them together Only If they are both males!

Sam-wow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
Thank you. That is what I needed to know. I will pass that on to her.
The one from the outside has been with her since August 2014 and the new friend has been there about three weeks. I will stress the importance of taking them to an avian vet.
Again, great info. Thanks.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Males aren't aggressive at all usually! And If they are a True pair (Male/female)!raising chicks Its a hard work! I wouldn't put them Together! I would put them together Only If they are both males!
I'd be careful even with two boys because they most certainly can be aggressive, just not usually as much as the girls. My boys would attack each other in a heartbeat!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
When I bought Blu, a hen PFLB, as a mate for Harley, it took them four months to decide they wanted to cohabit a cage. And even then Blu kicked Harley out of the nest box and cage when she laid eggs that first year. Poor Harley had to sleep with the budgies or hide under the papers on the top of his cage (now inhabited by Blu). She let him back into the cage and then the nest box, but it took another four months. They have been cohabiting his cage and nest box now for three years without any problems. But you really have to take it slow with lovies. With the large capacity flock birds, like cockatiels and budgies, you can add birds very easily. Even though lovies live in a flock, they nest at night in pairs and have a different outlook somehow about the flock itself. I have never been able to sustain more than four lovies in a flock without a great amount of fighting; and even then the hens got into itat least briefly daily. So now I just maintain one pair of lovies.

The birds will tell your friend when they want to be cage buddies, if ever. If they are the same sex, they cannot be kept in the same cage safely; at least in my experience. I have only ever been keeping a mated pair in a cage without blooshed.

Sam-wow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
I got excited when she sent my wife the video of them regurgitating for each other. I took that as a really good sign.
I have since strongly recommended a trip to the vet and I will pass on the experience all of you have here. Maybe she will (should) be the next AA member ... :)
As always, great info !