• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird refuses to go back to cage

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
So, I've been letting my untame lovebirds out to fly and explore my room daily. Kiwi is perfect, she always returns to her cage after an hour and a half to 2 hours. Mango has consistently taken longer, but not by more than an hour.
Recently, Mango has decided that he will no longer be living in his cage. When he gets hungry or thirsty, he will go into his cage only as long as it takes to get a beakfull of food or water and rush back out before I can close the door on him. He won't go in at all unless I'm on the other side of the room so he knows he will have time to get in and out before I can get to the cage to close him in. Last night, he slept on my desk.
By morning, I reluctantly threw a towel over him and gently put him back in his cage so that I could go to work. I didn't want to do this and ruin the trust that I've been working so hard to build with him. He seemed ok though and still took food from my hand through the cage before I left this morning.
Tonight, he is on my desk asleep again. I tried coaxing him back in with treats. He won't go for it unless he knows he can snatch them and get out before I shut the door. I don't know what to do. I can't just let him have free reign of my bedroom completely unsupervised during the day, but I also don't want to break his small amount of trust in me.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Will he step up on a stick? Would you be willing to start target/clicker training him?

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He won't step up or even let me place my hand near him. He will only come to me to take food if I am very still. I actually ordered a clicker online recently, but it isn't supposed to arrive for another week or so. I need something to get him back in his cage in the meantime so I can go to work without worrying.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Glad you're going to start clicker training soon!

This technique will require a few hours so I recommend trying it when you'll be home in the room with him all day.

As odd as it sounds, one of the best ways (I've found) to get a bird into a cage is to deny access for a time. He's running in for a bite of food or sip of water every now and again so he doesn't need to go back and let you close the door. He's decided your nice big room is his cage and the cage is just an eating station. Not to mention the fun game of make the hooman run for the door!

For this training, you will need to close the cage door for one hour and then open it for 10 minutes (while sitting beside the cage). He probably won't show an interest. If he doesn't approach his cage after the 10 minutes, close the door and walk away for another 30-45 minutes. Then repeat the 10 minutes of sitting quietly next to the open cage door. Add food and treats inside every time you open the door. Birds won't allow themselves to starve! It may take a few open/closed repetitions (lovebirds are stubborn!) but he will eventually want to eat more than he wants to stay out!

Last edited:

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you! That actually sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try it tomorrow and post an update after.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sounds like they need a bird room and to heck with the cages.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'd love to if I wasn't renting a room in a house with a cat. My dream is to have an indoor aviary for them once I graduate and find a more permanent job. The budgie I had as a child had free reign of the house, but she was a timid bird and would only leave her cage when one of the family members was in the room with her. She wouldn't leave the room at all unless I personally carried her out on my shoulder.
These lovies are far more confident and mischievous.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Mango is safely back in his cage. It didn't take long once I took away all of his hiding spots on my desk and did as Mmmmq said. Thank you!

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Tell your birdie to go back into the cage just like in the video below.
Easy. No need to be too wordy.

When I decided YS is to go back into his flightroom so Ivan the cat can be out, I just signal with my hand
and tell YS ' go back'. You can see this sequence here, where YS flew back to his flight room and into his cage at my cue.

And no food reward given for that reasonable request from me either.

Same for Tink and Riamfada. But no videos taken of Tink doing that and I could not find that video of Riam flying back into her room just yet.

Last edited:

JulieAnn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie Panasik
Tell your birdie to go back into the cage just like in the video below.
Easy. No need to be too wordy.

When I decided YS is to go back into his flightroom so Ivan the cat can be out, I just signal with my hand
and tell YS ' go back'. You can see this sequence here, where YS flew back to his flight room and into his cage at my cue.

And no food reward given for that reasonable request from me either.

Same for Tink and Riamfada. But no videos taken of Tink doing that and I could not find that video of Riam flying back into her room just yet.[/QUOT

How did you get him to go back in,cage