• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird Mutation Help

Mexy52

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Denise
im a total newb at lovebird mutations so forgive me if i misidentify one. i have two pairs of lovebirds that gave me two babies i needed identified.

Pair #1 (forgive the photo but i took the photo the day i brought them home and they looked a little rough) the female is the cinnamon? i believe. cant quite tell if the flights are brown or slighly grey. it's almost in between but maybe im overlooking it lol. the male is the pied, im assuming a seagreen pied? :/ anyway...they gave me a baby that im pretty sure is an American Cinnamon? (brown flights) so is the technical term for the baby a seagreen american cinnamon?

Parents

Baby

Pair #2
australian cinnamon female and a regular pied male. this baby from this pair had me stumped. i know they are green series, and they gave me 2 pied babies and 1 im guessing turquoise pied? im assuming he's a blue series? so both parents must have some blue in them to give me this random baby. at first i researched and have heard:
Seagreen Pied
Turquoise Pied
Dutch Blue Pied
my guess is turquoise pied......any thoughts? sorry if any of this was confusing!! the lighting can throw off the color i tried to get the photos to look as accurate as possible. the closest one to the babies natural color is the first photo of his back. the last three photos looked a little too blue on his pied area. but his underside is definately a pretty aqua color.

Parents

Female

Baby

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no idea what the mutations are. @Monica @expressmailtome may be able to help.

But your lovies are so cute! :loveshower:

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
Pair #1 baby looks just like my PICKLES as a baby! Here is PICKLES now.....she will be 2 on 7 April and is an American Cinnamon Sea Green Aqua Dutch Blue Peach Faced female (according to several lovie breeders)
IMG_20150904_160629.jpg
IMG_20150904_160610.jpg
IMG_20150904_160424.jpg
IMG_20150904_160245.jpg

This one is at 1 yr old
IMG_20140710_164421_hdr.jpg

I don't know anything about pied mutations but your little pied baby is ADORABLE!!

Mexy52

Real Name
Denise
i know i'm totally confused really on the pied. he was the oooonly one to come out that way out of two green series parents and he's a blue series. i've also heard another identification thrown out to be Seagreen American Cinnamon Pied. but at this point i have no idea what he is since i dont know what the grandparents are. i wish i knew so i knew how to best pair him, i'd love to have more babies that color. so pretty.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
i know i'm totally confused really on the pied. he was the oooonly one to come out that way out of two green series parents and he's a blue series. i've also heard another identification thrown out to be Seagreen American Cinnamon Pied. but at this point i have no idea what he is since i dont know what the grandparents are. i wish i knew so i knew how to best pair him, i'd love to have more babies that color. so pretty.

The only way the baby is blue series is if one or both parents are split to blue. Pied baby also seems to have muted coloring over all therefore making it cinnamon. So sea green American Cinnamon pied may not be wrong . I'm just not sure of all the correct genetics.....so don't quote me. LOL

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Not an expert on mutations, but wow is the little pied one cute! :heart:
Very interesting colors. :)

Mexy52

Real Name
Denise
Last night i got down to details and i did notice a few things that make me believe he's a "Seagreen Pied" or i think also known as "AquaTurquoise Pied". I think i outruled the "seagreen american cinnamon pied" out because i later remembered that as a newborn he had very dark grey eyes unlike the seagreen american cinnamon in the photo above she was born with pinkish grey eyes which later faded to grey as she became older. A cinnamon thing. And also upon looking at the flights on the pied he has some dark grey patches on them which also outrules cinnamon since they arent brown. So i think that classification is out. Im going to assume atleast one of the parents carries some blue series. The previous breeder did say they sometimes throw a seagreen baby (even though they didnt this go around) but she never mentioned a seagreen pied but then again she didnt seem too knowledgeable on mutations (NOT THAT IM AN EXPERT EITHER lolol)

The other reasons why im leaning toward "Seagreen Pied" is because i know "White face" = Turquoise and "Dutch Blue" = Aqua and "Seagreen" = Aqua Turquoise. Well i know he's not a WF, it looks like he may have a peach brow. Aaaaand his pied markings seem too light to be a dutch blue pied in my opinion and also because his rear underside feathers arent blueish they are aqua color.....so that leaves Seagreen! Seagreen Pied!!! (I think)...........

(((Looks behind me to see an atom bomb go off after all that that i just wrote))) LOL

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're adorable. :)

Fatgirl

:omg: what BEAUTIFUL babies both of you have!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You are correct on the four adults. As for the babies, the first one is defiantly an American cinnamon, but I am unsure of what other mutation(s) he/she is as his/her front colors have not come in yet. The second baby looks like a sea green pied. You are correct that both of this baby's parent must have a blue series gene. It is very difficult to accurately differentiate between the blue series without them having their adult coloring.

Matt

Mexy52

Real Name
Denise
thank you!! so maybe my endless research on lovebird mutations wasnt all to waste then hahaha. the seagreen pied seems to have a little peach on the brow. barely...but somewhat noticeable in person not so much in photos. the american cinnamon however has me thinking she may be a white face. she's hard to determine at this time so i'll have to keep touch with the lady taking her home and see what she turns out to be :) thank you again for the input!

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
I wish I could find PICKLES baby pics!! You American Cinnamon baby looks just like her as a baby! Now (at 2 yrs) she finally has a bit more peach on her forehead but it came is slowly!! If you look at her 1 yr pic above she still doesn't have any peach on her forehead......it only in the last few months started to show :) I'm wondering if she is actually a white faced sea green American Cinnamon aqua Dutch because her face is pretty white as you can see in her pics? What do you think @Mexy52 ?

Last edited: