• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird keeps going in other bird's cage when both out

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I recently brought home 2 lovebirds and gave each their own cage. When I let them out to play, the (suspected) male immediately goes into the (suspected) female's cage and starts eating her food, as if it isn't the same food that's in his cage. At first, he would listen when I told him no and moved toward him. She helps by going in and making him leave, but usually not immediately. I don't know how to get him to stop. I know it aggravates her, but she seems to have mostly given up on trying to keep him out.
Is not letting them both out at the same time the only way to keep him out of her cage? Would it help me to bond to them if they weren't allowed out together? (Note: They are not at all tame right now.)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I am curious why you dont like that he goes in it? Whats the big deal? And cant you close both cages up to prevent them from going inside?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My quaker Jingo has always done this with all my other birds, regardless of species. I've never really thought to get him out lol.

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
I have two lovebirds, and i can't take them out of their cages at the same time. They are jealous of each other, so they will fight if taken out at the same time. Even when one is out and the other is inside their cage, the one that is out will fly over to the others cage to say hello (to taunt the other, more likely :rolleyes:). Sometimes they will stay up there a long time, strutting around and basically showing off unless I go get them and make them come down. They can be very bratty that way.

I think the only way to keep them out of each others cages are to take them out separately at this point, or try taking them to a neutral area, although you did say they aren't tame so that might not be an option.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I just don't like it because the female get's angry and bites at him. I don't want them to get into any serious fights over it. The few times that one has been out when the other wasn't, whichever one was out would walk on the other's cage and the one in the cage would bite their feet.
I also can't control when they go back into their cages. If I let one out, it might stay out for 3 hours at a time, which by the time I get home from school/work, that's all the time left before they're both dosing off. It will be easier once they're tame to control the amount of time each spends out of their cages, but right now it's impossible.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
ooh that would drive me and my birds crazy. Mine are both so territorial and hold grudges. maybe you could separate the room they are out in with a mesh curtain so they can be out at the same time and not have to worry about it?

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
I let my lovebirds out separately too, but if you can give them incentive to go back into their cages when you want to offer the other some time, let them watch you put their favourite toys in their cage. Or take the food bowl out of the cage while they're out and return it with fresh food at the end of your desired "out" time. As they get older, this will probably be less and less okay since they'll probably get more territorial with time too. Even if they're friendly with each other, their cage is their castle and they don't like others messing with what makes them feel safe.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have two very cage aggressive quakers. They figure it out between themselves. Fighting to some extent is normal. Obviously if they are truly biting each other I would not allow them to be out together - sounds like you may have to separate their out times either by time or by changes to the room. My Hahns couldn't be out with the other birds which sucked for sure. Anytime you have two birds that don't get along well it's a hardship, and you have to figure out how to get around that.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The grass is always greener on the other side! When I had a flock of budgies, they wouldn't eat pellets in their own cage at first, but if it was in someone else's cage???? FAIR GAME!!!! :chin:Go figure! :hehe:

If they are both out at the same time, then I would close the cages and not allow them access to the inside so when you need to get them back in, they'll be a little bit more interested in going in for food.

Have some millet on hand? Definitely try feeding them by hand when they are out! (or even while in their cages, if they are hungry)

Wolf

Jogging around the block
I would either close the cages if they are out at the same time. and as long as they don't fight when they are out together I would continue to let them out at same time. If they fight when out together then I would hang a curtain to keep them separated so that they both get enough time out of the cage and put their food in the cage when it is time to go back in, I am assuming from your post that this is in the evening. I would also spend a little time with each one before letting them out to talk with them and to offer a couple of bites of millet as this will help you to gain their trust so that they will step up for you.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you all for your help! I will try closing their cages while they are out together and see how they do. I try to spend about an hour with them before I leave in the mornings and then for a few minutes before I let them out of their cages. They're both in my bedroom because my roommates have a cat that roams the house, unfortunately.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
I hear you about the cat. I have 3 large dogs and 7 cats, I hate cats, and 7 birds.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Haha, it sounds like a you have a full house! How did you wind up with so many cats if you don't like them?
I'm usually fine with indoor cats (the outdoor cats kill way too many things for me to condone their existence), I just kind of wish I could let my birds have more room to explore and play.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
Truthfully I am responsible for two of them. The first was a healthy male of 8 years old that an old man was going to have put down at the vets office and I intervened and brought him home, it definitely brightened the old mans world. the other was on the verge of death as he fell in my dog pen with my 100 pound puppies who thought he was a great toy, I nursed him back to health. All of the others are my Lady's cats, she loves cats.

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
I once had seven birds. The only one who was aggressive was my Meyers and I kept him away from the others. The others went in and out of each others cages all the time, and none of them seemed to be bothered.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I think I just have a territorial female. I've found letting them out separately leads to more aggression than just letting them out together. They taunt and bite at one another through the cage bars if I let them out separately. I just keep a close eye on them while they're out to prevent fights.

Valery

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Valery
My parakeet did this with my parrotlet's cage. So I gave up and let him move in. The parrotlet is the boss, of course, but I put in another food dish and the sleeping areas are on opposite sides. For two tiny birds they have their own space as the cage is large for their size