• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christina71

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christina
I have asked about this on another forum but haven't gotten an answer yet. My babies ages range from 2-3 weeks now. I'm not handfeeding, but am "co-parenting" so I have been holding the babies for a few days now and cleaning out the nest box as needed. While I clean the nest box I put the babies in a shoebox with some bedding, today I put a few small foot toys in the shoebox and the oldest baby seemed a little interested. I'm wondering when others begin introducing toys and how they play with and socialize thier babies without feeding them. Also, on the other forum I was following thier videos for handfeeding and socializing (just for the socializing) At 3.5 weeks it says to introduce tiny bits of food (avicake) after feeding the babies. Since I'm not handfeeding, what would the recommendations be for introducing food? I've had a difficult time getting the parents to eat healthy foods and want to start the babies out on a variety when the time is right. Any info on co-parenting would be helpful, I've done some searches on the topic and haven't really found much information.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
I did co-parenting when my lovies had babies and their clutch turned out just as friendly and sweet as handfed babies. I think mine were 3 weeks old when I started to offer sprouted wheatberries.

Have you tried sprouts with the parents? Mine went crazy over sprouts and they are easy to make. You just have to be real careful if you live in a warm climate that the sprouts don't mold. Birdie bread is another thing that is good to feed the parents and babies.

I forget what age the babies were when I started them on fresh veggies,but I made sure to offer a varied amount because it's better to start them off at an early age then wait for them to be picky adults who are afraid of a broccoli florette lol.

Be careful when you clean the nest box not to remove too much bedding. I made that mistake and the female ended up plucking her babies bald :( They all feathered out fine in the end,but it was horrible for a while.

Zeus as a plucked baby :(

Zeus today:)

I had little leather (bird safe) laces with pony beads that my babies would play with. I think introducing them to toys and play early helped them become independent and playful adults.

It sounds like you are doing a great job!

Christina71

Real Name
Christina
Thanks for replying! I do sprout beans and lentils, I forgot to mention that. I know that the male eats them but haven't actually seen the female eat any yet, I haven't had any luck with sprouting seeds other than millet, and I don't know if the healthfood store I go to has wheatberries. I had no idea that the parents may pluck if I take out too much bedding, so far it hasn't happened, but I will keep an eye on them.
I have another question, did you take the babies into a different room to play with them? My babies seem a little curious and interested in thier surroundings when I take them out of the nest box, but when the parents notice that they are out they started chirping loudly at the babies and the babies end up huddling together. It's almost seems like the parents are making the babies afraid to be out. I prefer to interact with them while the parents are present, but am starting to wonder if I should do it differently.

Lovebird57

Real Name
Amy
I don't have advice but just wanted to say: They are so beautiful! Thanks for the pictures!:grouphug2:I just want to love them up!

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
I took the babies out in the same room so the parents could see they were ok. When you take them out are they in sight of the parents?

Christina71

Real Name
Christina
That's what I've been doing, but was wondering if I should be doing it differently. The parents acted a little better today and the babies were actually playing with toys so everyone seems more relaxed. I've taken some pics of them playing, but I'll have to have my daughter show me how to get the pics on here lol.

Last edited:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I don't co parent I hand feed I start introducing real foods at about 5 weeks I don't even pull mine until 3 weeks Anything sooner is ONLY in a Emergency situation - they need the nutrients from the parents feeding them for the first 2 weeks of their lives, By waiting til they're 3 weeks old they get that, and their immune system is built up a lot better than pulling them younger

When it comes to seed pellets I have a mix i start with its finch/canary size and all my birds I've hand fed (American & English Budgies, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Green Cheeks conure) Have gotten this when i first introduce the foods, once they're actually eating that and eat it well, I move them up to the same style mix only Budgie Size (the mix is Zupreem Fruit Pellets and seed, Sometimes if I have it I'll put in Roudybush or Tropicana pellets) once they're eating that well they get moved up to the 3rd and final stage for some of them which is the same mix only Cockatiel size - Of Course the Budgies would stay with the Budgie size, but my lovebirds Eat cockatiel size so they get moved up to it.

Toys are introduced when they are introduced to a "big kid" cage when Fully feathered and I haven't had to use the heat for the brooder for a week to a week and half. and they all play with toys as they get older,and love them just as much when they're older as they did at 2 months old

But right now I do have 3 Cockatiels I'm hand feeding and the other day I did put in a small wiffle ball and Cat ball for them to play with if they want to.so far they haven't touched it

a friend of mine who only breeds American Budgies, Starts putting seeds in the nest box at around 3 weeks of age.

Christina71

Real Name
Christina
Thanks for responding! The babies are playing a little with small foot toys when I take them out and the parents seem a little calmer. One of the older babies has been getting out of the nestbox, He/She is only 3 weeks and 3 days, this evening he got out after I put them back in after I cleaned the nestbox, and he managed to get back in with a little help from the parents...he seems to a curious little guy. I have the nestbox on the floor of the cage since the cage didn't have an extra door for that purpose, so he's not falling out he's just climbing out.

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Oh these pics are so adorable. I so want some lovebirds. the pic of the two snuggling together on your finger is beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.