• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Louie and Connie

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
As most of you know, my little Pained Conure Louie passed on Feb. 9th. Connie was his mate and she has been missing him so much.
Louie always chased her away from the food, "his" toys, and any treats I put in were always claimed right away by him even if I put in a dozen of them, he would always have to take his fill before she could touch them at all. Well, this went on for 23 years.
Poor Connie has had a tough time without him....I have too. She has had to be hand fed. Connie used to bite me like crazy but now she just climbs out of the cage and I can feed her with a tiny spoon or just give her seeds by hand. I am amazed to say the least. I left her cage open last night and sat next to her. All she ate I have to give her by hand. I am right now watching her playing with Louie's toys. He claimed two little plastic cat toy balls with a bell in each and she could never even approach them. Now she rolls them around on top of the cage. When I put her inside she chases the balls back and forth. I give her a piece of banana and she cowers down like Louie is still here and will chase her at any moment. In a minute or two she will slowly move over and start eating. She eats very little seed unless I am right there in the room with her. When she sleeps at night they used to lay on the cage floor with her against the corner of the cage by the bars and Louie would sleep against her on his side with his little feet in the air. After 23 years of this I guess she has good reason to miss him. She makes a nest of a bunch of soft Viva brand paper towels now and has gathered all his toys into this area so she feels comforted I think.
It's tough to watch. I am doing all I can to help her.
:heart:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry. It must be so hard.

Matt

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
It is really hard to watch a widowed bird try and rebuild a life after their partner has died. I had to do that with Gracie Tiel after Chip died. They were together twelve years. Luckily Gracie was surrounded by her children, so she continued to eat with the flock and interact with the flock. Gracie did come to me more often after Chip's death for one on one attention and also sat on me a lot.

If you must bait her to eat using treats, it won't hurt short term, Katherine. Poor little girl must work out how to live on her own now and all you can do is help as much as you can. I know you will do everything you can. ;)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Gosh that is so sad. Even though she was told when and what to eat she must have loved her little partner so much. They had been together for such a long while as well. Bless her, hope she settles into a comfortable pattern for the life she has left now. :hug8::heart:

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Wow, that is such a long time for them together. She must be grieving so. Sending good energy to Connie, that she finds peace and happiness again.:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
:hug8::hug8:A big hug for both of you.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Awwww...poor baby. Prayers for her.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sad7: positive thoughts for you little Connie

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
:hug8: for you and Connie.

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
:hug8::heart: Keep doing what you're doing, Katherine; continue to show her your love and take comfort in her. Together, you will heal :heart::hug8:

Featherluv

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Stefanie
Aww that is so sad! I'm sorry for you both :(

Status
Not open for further replies.