• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Loud breathing macaw? Need MI vet!!

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
Hey, this is my first post so I apologize if I'm not doing this right. I adopted a macaw a few weeks ago from a friend who could no longer take care of him, I have a lot of experience with smaller birds but not so much the bigger ones (I've done research and am still learning!).

When I got him, I noticed that he sneezed a lot so I asked the previous owners and they told me that "he always does that" so I took him to a vet in the area and they said he is molting (he is) and the dust is probably just aggravating him and they sent me on my way.

After another week however, I noticed a clear discharge (it dried up very quickly and hasn't been back) and his breathing is very loud. I took him to another vet (an avian vet) and they listened to his lungs and took a fecal sample, and said that he sounds clear and has no problems and his nose is probably just being aggravated by dust from the home and his own feather dust and that there was nothing to worry about unless i noticed coloured discharge from the nose.

It's been a few days since that visit and he's sneezing less but his breathing sounds much louder and he sounds snotty even though there is no visible discharge, if that makes sense. he sort of wheezes out his mouth a few times a day and occasionally sounds like he's struggling but otherwise he isn't mouth breathing. he sounds fine all night, no wheezing or sniffling or sneezing. he has plenty of energy, he's eating well, although he is a bit moody. ive increased humidity in the room and tried giving him baths (which he does not like) but i'm iffy on what else can help?

should i take him in to a third vet or am i overreacting? none of them are open until Monday and he seems worse today, it might just be me but is there anything i can do until i can get him in? should i be worried? i'm not sure what to do and i'm not sure where any other bird vets are (but i'm looking). i'm just very panicked because i know they can go downhill fast.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Anytime a bird has respiratory issues, you need to worry. All you you can do until you can get him into another vet is to keep him warm (80F and above), keep the humidity as high as possible and keep him quiet and hydrated. If you need to give him fluids by syringe - 50/50 pedialyte to water is a good choice. Make sure he is eating and has plenty of food available - even if it isn't the ideal choice. He's sick and he needs calories to keep him running and fight the illness.

Sounds like you need a different vet, so if you can tell us what area you live in we can possibly recommend one or help you find one.

How old is your bird? Was he housed with African Greys, Cockatoos or Cocketiels at his previous home? Was the home one where they smoked in the home? How clean was the home and especially his cage? There are many things that could be wrong with your bird, but it is most likely a respiratory infection.

When you go back to the vet be sure to ask if he/she thinks it's Aspergillosis. Get a CBC, Chem panel and anal swab. These tests will cost $300 - $500 with the initial exam and depending what these tests show, the vet may want to perform others such as an xray and a culture and sensitivity. If money is a problem, apply to Credit Care right now. ( Healthcare Financing Credit Card | CareCredit )

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
LOL - Cynthia I was typing as you posted.

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
Thank you for the reply! He is eating and drinking plenty and his room is warm. He was housed with a Quaker parrot previously I believe. His cage and room he is in is currently clean but I don't know about the previous home unfortunately.

I am from Mt. Pleasant, Michigan and thank you for linking me to that. I'm going to check it out now.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Macawnutz Sarah, who lives near Mt. Pleasaant that may be able to help Brenna with a vet?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
if care credit turns you down try to work a payment with your vet before treatment that is what i had to do with our dog with a broken leg

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
thank you guys! I really appreciate it. I am just trying to keep calm right now, his behavior seems entirely normal minus the loud breathing so i'm hoping I caught it in time to do something. I am going to take him to a vet but i'm trying not to freak out. I just wish it wasn't a weekend because everybody is closed. :(

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
I know a couple of avian vets about an hour from me, but I don't know how reputable they are.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Dr. Lafeber lists these three Avian vets near you;

Freeland Animal Clinic33.0 miles

7250 Midland RoadFreeland, MI 48623(517) 695-2072

Directions
Valley Animal Clinic-Auburn34.0 miles

937 W Midland RoadAuburn, MI 48611(517) 662-2551

Directions
Bangor Veterinary Hospital42.8 miles

3917 N Euclid AvenueBay City, MI 48706(517) 686-0802

Directions

You can look up reviews on any vet you are interested in on the internet. I found out to not recommend Dr. Pol that way.

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
yeah I called pol and his receptionist hung up on me LOL but i'll check those out, thank you so much.

BrennaNeal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenna Neal
thank you! I'll check these out when i'm home from work. I appreciate it a lot

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
it might help to take him into a steamy bathroom and sit with him for about 20 minutes. It might ease his breathing a bit.