• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent LOTS of Burnt food smoke!!

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Dad has alzheimers and forgot to put water in his microwave ramen bowl. Just as we pulled back up from farmers market, the wife was opening doors and windows. Hubs and I immediately grabbed cages and hauled them to the garage, turned on the attic fan and stove fan, put floor fans towards the cages for fresh air.

What do I watch for from the flock? What else should I do? It is typical Texas weather, hot and humid, but garage is far cooler than the yard.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
The house was FULL of smoke. Burned my lungs just a bit. How long do I wait to bring them back in? So far they seem okay, albeit a little freaked out by being in the garage all of a sudden. Help!!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
The house was FULL of smoke. Burned my lungs just a bit. How long do I wait to bring them back in? So far they seem okay, albeit a little freaked out by being in the garage all of a sudden. Help!!
can you open all the windows and all the doors and set up circulation fans?

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Attic fan is on, windows and doors open. I have one floor fan and one desk fan. Both are blowing on the cages in the garage to force fresh air and keep them cooler. Smell is better, but still pretty strong. Smoke is mostly cleared.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Attic fan is on, windows and doors open. I have one floor fan and one desk fan. Both are blowing on the cages in the garage to force fresh air and keep them cooler. Smell is better, but still pretty strong. Smoke is mostly cleared.
I'd wait for a while longer till the smell dissipates. Can you spray the guys to keep them cooler? Hope it clears up quickly!

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Take a breath. Sit with them and everyone take a breath.

When the house is clear from smoke and smell you can bring them back in and watch them.
I am sitting with them. Poor dad feels horrible. Nothing he can help at this stage of this damn disease, though.

I'd wait for a while longer till the smell dissipates. Can you spray the guys to keep them cooler? Hope it clears up quickly!
So far, the fans are keeping them cool. They only tolerate sprays, but I will do it if it gets too warm and they start showing signs .

Thanks y'all! My poor dad. He tries so hard to maintain normal. This disease is absolutely horrible and I hate it! Not his fault at all.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My family has a long history with alzheimers, I know your pain. Just tell him all is well and not to worry. It will be cleaned up and forgotten soon.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I tried to tell him. Even maintained calm while moving birds in a rush.
My grandfather passed away a few years ago from it and I knew then that my dad had it. Wife didn't have him tested until a year after I told her my suspicions.
I am sorry you had to go through it too.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds like your birds will be okay, thank goodness! I'm so very sorry your dad has this terrible, heart wrenching disease.
:hug8:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
before you move the birds back inside, try a 50-50 of vinegar/ water sprayed thru out the house high up as possible. it cuts that smell, big time. when you can't smell the vinegar any more it safe to bring the birds back in. did this years ago after fire in the building. smoked the whole building out, birds were at a friends across the courtyard and stayed until I did the vinegar/water thing.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:

Glad your dad & the birds are OK.
I guess maybe you have to rethink leaving him home alone in the future for his own safety.

He could have an accident with gas or fire & you could loose him the birds & the house.

We think my Dad's mom had it. She must of had it as there were all the memory lapses & the repeating. I did not see the final progression of it as I was away at college but in the end she really did not recognise people but knew she knew them...

Luckily she is the only one who had it. Both my parents are in the late 80's & they are fine. My other grandma made it almost to 98 with the usual arthritis.

My friend at work nursed her mom with it for years until she finally became bed bound was not able to eat & died. She would put things in the microwave thinking it was the refrigerator.

Not really any usually hi cancer & I got it so who knows what's in our future.
I did find out an Aunt had uterus cancer & survived & my cousin had some blood cancer & is Ok now. My Uncle also had some blood cancer in the 60's I think so I neve knew him & he died..not sure if it was leukemia or one of the others? My moms mom had 10 kids so one getting cancer is just normal odds.

Very sad but all diseases are very sad.

Hopefully the birds suffered no real damage to the lungs.

Last edited:

Birdlovesme

Sprinting down the street
My grandma has alzheimers as well. Doesn't know basic math, and sometimes even forgets our names.
Feel bad for her, but I just act like she dosent have it and i make the best out of it.
Dont let the small things in life effect your future! :angelic:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
before you move the birds back inside, try a 50-50 of vinegar/ water sprayed thru out the house high up as possible. it cuts that smell, big time. when you can't smell the vinegar any more it safe to bring the birds back in. did this years ago after fire in the building. smoked the whole building out, birds were at a friends across the courtyard and stayed until I did the vinegar/water thing.
Funny you mentioned that. I always have a bottle ready for cleaning and Hubs grabbed it a and started spraying high. I sprayed the curtains and fabrics lightly afterwards. It worked pretty well except the kitchen. The microwave is the source now.

:sadhug2:

Glad your dad & the birds are OK.
I guess maybe you have to rethink leaving him home alone in the future for his own safety.

He could have an accident with gas or fire & you could loose him the birds & the house.

We think my Dad's mom had it. She must of had it as there were all the memory lapses & the repeating. I did not see the final progression of it as I was away at college but in the end she really did not recognise people but knew she knew them...

Luckily she is the only one who had it. Both my parents are in the late 80's & they are fine. My other grandma made it almost to 98 with the usual arthritis.

My friend at work nursed her mom with it for years until she finally became bed bound was not able to eat & died. She would put things in the microwave thinking it was the refrigerator.

Not really any usually hi cancer & I got it so who knows what's in our future.
I did find out an Aunt had uterus cancer & survived & my cousin had some blood cancer & is Ok now. My Uncle also had some blood cancer in the 60's I think so I neve knew him & he died..not sure if it was leukemia or one of the others? My moms mom had 10 kids so one getting cancer is just normal odds.

Very sad but all diseases are very sad.

Hopefully the birds suffered no real damage to the lungs.
Dad was home with his wife. I guess she was in another room when he decided he was hungry. I have already advised her to remove knobs from the stove and oven to prevent anything worse from happening.

My grandma has alzheimers as well. Doesn't know basic math, and sometimes even forgets our names.
Feel bad for her, but I just act like she dosent have it and i make the best out of it.
Dont let the small things in life effect your future! :angelic:
I try to stay up beat with him. Joke around like we always have and when I don't know what he is talking about, I fake it. He has already forgotten the year and will ask numerous times a day what day it is.

Thanks for all the help and support, everyone. I ❤❤ this group!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
We burnt something in our microwave once, and we put a box of Baking Soda in it and had to take it outside. It smelled for days.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
a baking soda and hot vinegar bomb will take of the microwave smell also. couple tablespoons of baking soda into tall mug or a big bowl and 1/4 cup hot vinegar put it into the microwave close the door overnight.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
a baking soda and hot vinegar bomb will take of the microwave smell also. couple tablespoons of baking soda into tall mug or a big bowl and 1/4 cup hot vinegar put it into the microwave close the door overnight.
Thank you! Was wondering the best way to get it out. Was going to do another scrub with vinegar, but your idea will probably work much better with baking soda.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad that you got home when you did and got the birds out. Sorry about your dad.
Do you have air purifiers? You can run those on high.

Vickytoria

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Victoria
I know this post is old, but it just happened here too.
My son decided to make himself ramen noodles without water in the microwave and I ran my bird outside.
It's been an hour and the smell is herrendously bad! Have windows and doors open and fans running.
Going to try the vinegar spray. If that doesn't help, what else can I do?

My poor baby bird is not liking it outside because the dogs are freaking him out.