• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lori bottlebrush

evie

Moving in
Hiya, my new 12 week old Lori, loves bottlebrush and I've picked some from the garden, given it a good wash and put it in her cage, she adores this stuff, but I noticed her chasing a little bug that came out of it, I thought I'd totally washed it clean. I think she ate it! Is this harmful not sure what to do to get it clean enough now I washed it in running waster and soaked it for quite some time

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
As long as the bottlebrush has not been sprayed with fertilizer or pesticides, it should be fine.

evie

Moving in
It's in our garden and we've not used anything nasty on it. So assume it's not been sprayed with any nasties. She also loves eucalyptus and the leaves, not to eat so much more for rolling about in.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
I wouldn't worry about it--in the wild they'd be eating little bugs like that all the time. I'm jealous of people who have bottlebrush they can raid for their birds!

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My passed on scaly, M-Star used to chase ants, catch them then roll them around in her beak with her tongue and squish them.

Lorikeets are known to feast on insects in the wild too. Gives some added protein.
My three little ratbags now don't take much to insects but M-Star was quite the hunter lol.