• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking Into Oil Diffuser

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Essential Oils for Sleep | Buy Calming Sleep Essential Oil - GuruNanda

Cedarwood, Lavender, Lavandin, and Frankincense Essential Oils all have therapeutic properties that can calm and relax the mind to help you sleep more easily. Amyris, Wintergreen, Lemongrass, Patchouli, and Orange Essential Oils help to cleanse, purify, and relieve the body from discomforts.

Lavandin is the one I said earlier shouldn;t be used around birds because of the camphor. I would have to research the rest and frankly I have spent several hours researching for this thread as it is and just don't have more time to give tonight.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
LAVENDER.

Safe for you. Safe for birds. Help to sleep.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Try melatonin, 1mg

Holly21

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Deana
Thank you Mizzely I truely appreciate all you have done!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Just to reiterate when I mean Lavender, I mean Lavandula angustifolia

AKA True Lavender, AKA English Lavender. If it doesn't say Lavandula angustifolia on the bottle it is NOT the right thing.

I spent literally 8 months researching essential oils before bringing them into the house. I don't know everything. But I know enough to keep me and my family (including pets) safe. I don't go looking anymore beyond Plant Therapy because I trust them and because their price point for TRUE oils that they make with SAFETY in mind is really hard to beat. They are backed by one of the industries leading experts. It is impossible to keep up with all of the brands out there now.

Aviana

Strolling the yard
Some relaxing chamomile tea might be nice for you, too. For that matter, I have some nice chamomile tea with lavender that I like at bedtime. Something relaxing, and if you having sinus issues you could breathe in the steam.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
For me chamomile tea keeps me awake, even the 100% pure stuff.
I grow it for my two birds. But I do make fizzy bath balls with lavender and chamomile in them. That does help.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Many places sell small pillows filled with lavender to lay by your head to sleep.
Just asking in general - have you tried simply using a humidifier? Just with water.
Having more humidity in the air can help you sleep and is good for the birds.
Although some types of humidifiers are not safe so ask advice or do a site search before buying.

Holly21

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Deana
We have a whole home humidifier. I will look into the pillows though.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'm going to add my 2cents here.
We have a bird in the clinic right now, that its owner diffuse essential oil, in a room the opposite side of the house. The bird is in incubator on O2, with respiratory distress, renal failure, and its costing its owner + 250.00 a day. It's been in the 5 days in ICU. Still want to chance it?
You have gotten excellent advice here , my 2cents is this DO NOT CHANCE IT.
What oil or oils were used?

@Holly21 I am not an expert either but have spent a lot of time researching EOs and most of my life as an insomniac. :D Melatonin is great, take the smaller dose not the big one. It gives me a hangover feeling the next day but my doc says that's because I am not used to sleeping.

Chamomile tea before bed and throw some lavender in it ---- that is like a wonder drug. My friend's cousin farms the stuff and she brings me little baggies of it. Oh that sounds really bad doesn't it? I promise it is chamomile and lavender.

For oils, my go-tos are: lavender, ylang ylang, and Roman Chamomile. I put marjoram in the mix also but not sure if it really helps. I diffuse these by my chair about an hour before bed. The birds are not in the room at that time of day. According to Essential Bird, Lavender and Ylang Ylang are actually not just okay to use, they are beneficial to parrots. Another site includes Roman Chamomile as a beneficial oil for birds. So I think you should be able to relax and your bird will, too!

I think it is really great that you are trying to go holistic rather than just "take a pill." The problem is that nobody much does research on these oils, and even when there is research available like any holistic practice people want to say it doesn't work, or that it is harmful -- even when they don't know. There is a Facebook group on essential oils for parrots, and Dr. Melissa Shelton is a vet who uses oils in her practice and has written a book, the Animal Desk Reference. The new edition just came out.

So --- always dilute by diffusing, always check on the oil before diffusing it around your bird, and always use high quality oils.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
There is a Facebook group on essential oils for parrots, and Dr. Melissa Shelton is a vet who uses oils in her practice and has written a book, the Animal Desk Reference.

Dr. Shelton sells the oils that she advocates. It's a huge conflict of interest and I urge anyone to take what she says with a grain of salt, especially since she's often a supporter of/co-conspirator with Dr. Becker of the anti-vaccination veterinary movement.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am not familiar with Dr. Becker. I don't buy her oils but I use them *my favorite brand* in the recipes she suggests and they do work. I've managed to get my dog's horrible allergies under control through her suggestions.

So yes, as always grain of salt + do your own research!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
What oil or oils were used?

@Holly21 I am not an expert either but have spent a lot of time researching EOs and most of my life as an insomniac. :D Melatonin is great, take the smaller dose not the big one. It gives me a hangover feeling the next day but my doc says that's because I am not used to sleeping.

Chamomile tea before bed and throw some lavender in it ---- that is like a wonder drug. My friend's cousin farms the stuff and she brings me little baggies of it. Oh that sounds really bad doesn't it? I promise it is chamomile and lavender.

For oils, my go-tos are: lavender, ylang ylang, and Roman Chamomile. I put marjoram in the mix also but not sure if it really helps. I diffuse these by my chair about an hour before bed. The birds are not in the room at that time of day. According to Essential Bird, Lavender and Ylang Ylang are actually not just okay to use, they are beneficial to parrots. Another site includes Roman Chamomile as a beneficial oil for birds. So I think you should be able to relax and your bird will, too!

I think it is really great that you are trying to go holistic rather than just "take a pill." The problem is that nobody much does research on these oils, and even when there is research available like any holistic practice people want to say it doesn't work, or that it is harmful -- even when they don't know. There is a Facebook group on essential oils for parrots, and Dr. Melissa Shelton is a vet who uses oils in her practice and has written a book, the Animal Desk Reference. The new edition just came out.

So --- always dilute by diffusing, always check on the oil before diffusing it around your bird, and always use high quality oils.
I have no idea at this time. I have been dealing with my mouse problem.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I am not familiar with Dr. Becker. I don't buy her oils but I use them *my favorite brand* in the recipes she suggests and they do work. I've managed to get my dog's horrible allergies under control through her suggestions.

So yes, as always grain of salt + do your own research!

Dr. Becker runs the veterinary side of the site associated with Dr. Mercola, who is a pseudoscience quack. The Mercola website has done numerous pieces advocating and selling unproven alternative medicine supplements and anti-vaccination, and the veterinary aspect of the site is no better. Most of the content is propaganda at best. Their recent piece, "The Truth About Pet Cancer", points to commercial pet food and a "toxic environment" (read: vaccines and medications) as the causes of an "increased" rate in pet cancers.

It's all BS, but that doesn't stop them from spouting it to try to sell their own products.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Got it. I do know of Mercola. :(
I have no idea at this time. I have been dealing with my mouse problem.
Welllp you're the one who told the story. You can't just throw all oils in one basket, they are not all the same. That's like saying "medicine killed my family member" Well which medicine was it? "I don't know."

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Dr. Shelton sells the oils that she advocates. It's a huge conflict of interest and I urge anyone to take what she says with a grain of salt, especially since she's often a supporter of/co-conspirator with Dr. Becker of the anti-vaccination veterinary movement.
I was thinking about this. Dr. Shelton creates blends and then sells them, correct? That is what I've seen her doing.

Are you saying she is associated with some oils company in addition to that?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I was thinking about this. Dr. Shelton creates blends and then sells them, correct? That is what I've seen her doing.

Are you saying she is associated with some oils company in addition to that?

She used to say that only Young Living were safe, and then as soon as she made her own line, she removed all evidence of YL from her website and FB group. I questioned why only YL was safe, she couldn't tell me. Now she says YL aren't safe but hers are.

I don't doubt hers are safe, however I won't support her.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Okay, so an oil diffuser puts particles of oil into the air. No matter how pure the air is, you are essentially breathing oil. Sounds awesome!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
This is what I use to sleep, reminder not on birds.
I roll this on pulse points rub it in well, and don't laugh but I also roll on the soles of my feet, rub it in. Works for me.
20180803_194247-1.jpg 20180803_194301-1.jpg 20180803_194318-1.jpg 20180803_194329-1.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@rocky'smom That is a great idea, and roll-ons are a good way to obtain the benefits of the oils without exposing birds and/or other people to them. I mean, they are from plants after all - so you never know who might have an allergy.

I buy the empty roll=on bottles and DIY oils blends. But I am kooky like that.