• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for vacuum that can really suck up bird seed and hulls

Nancy Hulbert

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nancy Hulbert
This may seem silly but I have owned birdies for over 40 yrs and have yet to find a vacuum that is able to pick up bird seed and hulls that my birds fling out the cage. I have tried every brand and style imaginable and am in hopes someone here has found one that actually picks up the seed instead of flinging it to the side like the birds do. I have 2 sun conures since 2000 and a cockateil since 2001, all rescues. I use to breed the keets but the last of my babies died in 2012 at 15yrs old and I don't breed anymore. I also have 4 pooches, no problem with vacuums and dog hair but the bird room is another story. Has anyone here found a vacuum that actually picks up the seed and hulls? Any idea would be appreciated, I should own the vacuum corporation by now with as much money invested in a new vac every year. Thanks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use a Shark Navigator Lift Away that has survived 3 birds, 2 cats, and a toddler for the past 5 or so years. I have never had an issue with it picking up seed hulls etc, but maybe it has to do with carpet type, etc? Not sure what kind of surface you are using it on.

My birds now live in the basement on a concrete floor so I switched to a shop vac because the Shark is awful on hard floors.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a Miele canister which seems to work well. I have the Callisto model which has been discontinued. It was expensive but I kept going through vacuums (Hoover, Eureka, etc.) and it was worth buying the Miele. I had a Shark navigator but it started to fall apart so I brought it back to Costco although I probably could have called the company and they might have sent replacement parts.

Nancy Hulbert

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nancy Hulbert
I have pergo floors, no carpets, I"m sure that makes a difference.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sharks are useless junk & don;t last. Don;t like Red devil either as they are crappy & loud!
Miele is good. Shop vacs are good. Old elextrolux cannisters & filter queen are good. My fav is the filter queen as its more like a shop vac, well made. I have one right by the cage. Miele is pricy as well as the other two but sometimes you can get good deals on used ones. If they have been taken care of an electrolux or filter queen almost last a lifetime unlike the new crap!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh, I like my roomba for no carpet areas. ;)

It can shoot stuff all it wants as long as it's clean when it's done. :)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I also had a shark that was a piece of junk and I was so happy when finally enough parts finally broke that I could toss it.
right now I have 2 Hoover Air steerables, bagless that do a pretty good job with seeds and even pieces of cork and wood.
I do have carpet and I use the hose attachment for right around cage feet, but it does go fairly flat to get under cages almost halfway.
I do have large hard chairmats under the cages and also vacuum in the kitchen and have never noticed things thrown around.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Dyson Animal handles all but the biggest pieces.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have been through 2 Dysons and they just are not worth all the money they charge.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have a Miele canister which seems to work well. I have the Callisto model which has been discontinued. It was expensive but I kept going through vacuums (Hoover, Eureka, etc.) and it was worth buying the Miele. I had a Shark navigator but it started to fall apart so I brought it back to Costco although I probably could have called the company and they might have sent replacement parts.
I have a Miele too, best vacuum, silent, powerful and they last forever. With seeds and hulls I just make sure that I do not overfill the bag. The filter in the vacuum cleaner is great too.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
We have a Hoover Wind Tunnel and it works really well on bird stuff and pet hair :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That's because you need a real vacuum. Get something with a 5HP motor and a 3" hose and it will suck your arm out of its socket.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OMG John you rock!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran