• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for opinions

LilyLaneFarmer

Checking out the neighborhood
I am doing research on this breed to consider adding a parrot to our home. If you don't mind, I would appreciate your opinion. In all the reading I do, I find various opinions about the general overall personality of females vs. males. I recognize all birds are individuals but I notice when I watch videos that most IRN's are males. Can you give me your opinion of male vs. female? Except for breeding season, are one sex in general more aggressive? We have five grand children so again while much has to do with training and handling of a young bird, I am making sure I don't choose a bird known for aggressive tendencies. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I in in SW Ohio. Also for those who have mentioned how loud they are, I had a Senegal for many years who screamed usually morning and night for several minutes and on a few occasions during the say. It was loud but not ear piercing unless he was on my shoulder. Are IRN's louder than this? They seem to have a high pitched yell rather than loud to me.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
bump

csnake91

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chris
My ringneck, Bowie, seems to be more aggressive than males that I have met. She is really friendly once she gets to know you though. I think there are more males on the internet because they seem to be better at learning to talk, and Bowie doesn't talk, but she does whistle. She is also one of the loudest ringnecks I have ever met. luckily she only likes to scream after her nap around one in the afternoon. I would definitely say she has a loud shriek compared to a yell so it really depends on the individual.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Kiwi (IRN) has a VERY high pitched "scream". She is the loudest in my flock. My Eclectus only lets it all out when he is anxious or afraid...otherwise he is very quiet. My GCC while quiet most of the time can really add to the noise level when he feels like it. Kiwi is a very gentle almost one year old girl. While I know you can't ever say a bird doesn't bite...she comes close and has never bitten me or my grands. The grands will go over to her playtop and she will step up for them if she feels like playing. I let her have her own space in her cage and the grands are not allowed to reach in for her. She has been talking for a month or so and it is so sweet. In a short time she has learned to say peekaboo, pretty bird, what are you doin, gimmie a kiss and is working on other things I can't understand right now. She is all bark and no bite when she wants you to know she doesn't want to play...she will growl and lunge, but never bite...in fact if she gets your finger she kind of licks it. I can't speak for all of them but my experience...sweet and gentle birdies.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
My IRN Melon can be very loud, when she is on my shoulder and decides, ''Time to make mommy deaf" call it can be very high pitched and loud, making my ear ring with that feeling of a cotton ball wedged in your ear.

I also think it depends on the bird as well, as each bird is very different. Melon was rescued at 3 months and she was wild (I found her on the side of the road and we have wild IRNs in Hawaii.), so her behavior can vary depending on how she feels. There's times where she would listen and step up onto my hand, and there's times where she doesn't want to be bothered (and she will tell you by biting very hard) at all.

Melon can be a bit of a rascal but she's extremely patient.

Last edited: