1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Mentor

Discussion in 'Welcome Lane' started by Nautilidae, 10/12/17 at 9:50 AM.

1. Nautilidae

Nautilidae Checking out the neighborhood

Hello,
    I am new to bird handling and I am very interested in getting an African Grey after spending a bit of time with one and bonding with him. I have experience with Conures and Cockateils though I have never actually owned one I was employed at a pet store for a while before deciding it wasn't for me.

I live in the Des Moines IA area and am looking for mentors both to talk to or to possibly meet up with and actually get some experience with bigger birds. There is a rescue about a 4 hour drive from me but I am currently fostering a puppy and waiting for a good weekend to have someone puppysit before I take a drive up there. I am more than comfortable with exotic animals and while I don't like biting I can handle it!

Please feel free to message me or send in advice. I don't plan on getting a bird for at least a year.

2. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    You’ve got 15,000 members here to rely on. There is no greater wisdom than the wisdom of the crowd.

Stick around. Post a lot and you’ll learn everything you need to know.

Zoepr143, DQTimnehs, zoo mom and 5 others like this.
  3. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    Welcome to the Avenue. :)

I understand what you're getting at...hopefully you'll be able to find a mentor in your area....plus joining us here will be an asset to you, no doubt. Like @JLcribber said, there are 15,000 of us you can bounce your questions and concerns off of....and there there are no "stupid" or "silly" questions...:)

4. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    :hello:
    :welave:
    I think it's great that you want to gain minowlege and experience before you get a bird!

5. Laurul Feather Cat

Laurul Feather Cat Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Lois
    :welcome: We love new Roadies! I am one of those people who do not do well with the larger birds. I was unable to adjust to an attacking Yellow-Naped Amazon cock and between the garbled communication with the bird and the physical limitations I have from having spinal reconstructive surgery, I had to rehome the Amazons. I miss the hen, Precie, to this day and am sorry I ever let such a calm bird go; but her mate was more than a match for me: he was abusive and I had little way of correcting his behavior right after having such extensive surgery. Hindsight is 20/20 now I have recovered from my surgery.

It seems my best species for interaction are the Poicephalus species, and my heartbird is my Senegal, Sunshine. Hopefully when you get to the rescue, you will meet your own heartbird! Good luck. There may also be a closer by mentor for you as well at the rescue. :greet7:

6. taxidermynerd

taxidermynerd Sprinting down the street

Bee
  7. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    Welcome, and enjoy the site!

8. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah
  9. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Michelle
    Welcome to the forum!

10. zoo mom

zoo mom Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS POSTAHOLIC

Elaine
    Welcome

11. Tyrion

Tyrion Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

Annette Thompson
  12. Sarahmoluccan

Sarahmoluccan Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month I Can't Stop Posting!

Sarah
    Welcome I hope you enjoy your time here :)
    It's always nice to see someone who wants to do a lot of research before getting bird. :cheer: Ask as many questions as you like. The people here have a lot of experience and will answer your questions the best they can :)

13. Cassiopejaz

Cassiopejaz Jogging around the block

Daniel
    Welcome to AA hope u will enjoy ur stay here :)

Ask as many questions you want...there is no stupid questions..:)

14. DQTimnehs

DQTimnehs Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs! Administrator Auction Director Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jennifer
    :welcomeavenue:

15. Zoepr143

Zoepr143 Meeting neighbors

Zoë
    Welcome to the avenue!:hug8:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)