• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Look Who I have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Karen,

The breeder was definitely mistaken/incorrect if you were told that this baby should only be on 2 feedings per day. Best to always get advice in writing.

Feedings are not to be based upon how often the bird wants to eat but rather on when the crop is empty or nearly empty. Filling the crop to the proper level is important and proper crop stretching is also important (for optimum chick development & safety), as are food temps and consistency, etc. etc. etc. ... Once again I suggest you get (asap) the book I mentioned which will explain all this in detail. You did not comment on whether you plan on doing so or not? You can probably have it shipped to you via overnight mail.

IME, your baby should be getting fed 4 times minimum per day (at current stage in its development).

Here is a partial excerpt from the book I mentioned: "When a crop is properly filled, it will feel taut to the touch. The same amt. of formula should be fed for the following few feedings. At this point, the same quantity of food will not fill the crop completely. Once again the crop can be stretched to hold a bit more........". The book explains how to properly stretch a crop, food temps, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. ............ so please do right by this bird and any future baby birds by purchasing it. Same advice for anyone who handfeeds. One may think he or she knows all there is to know about handfeeding etc. but I don't think any of us truly does 100%.

Once this book is read completely and written notes taken to have by one's side when handfeeding, then and only then (IMO) can one honestly feel they have "expert advice" at their fingertips. Of course this is not the only book to have, other books will prove valuable tools also - along with the well intention advice of experienced board members here or on any other board.

Here is another excerpt from the book: "The normal internal body temp. of a bird is between 101 & 103 degrees F. Formula fed at these temps. would be considered normal to the chick & is readily accepted ........" "Through experimentation with different temps. it was also discovered how high the limits were before the food caused damage to the bird's crop".

"The maximum safety zone for feeding formula was established at 105 to 110 degrees F. ... Anytime formula is fed at 100 degrees or below the chicks tend to refuse it. If it is fed higher than 110 there is a possibility that some spots in the crop wall will be burned or damaged. Each chick has a preferred temp. at which it will feed best. Once that temp. zone is discovered it will be to the feeder's benefit to be consistent & always heat formula to this level".

Ok y'all, so does the above info. wet the appetitie of any responsible breeder/handfeeder to now order this book? Isn't it best to have every detail of proper handfeeding spelled out for us, in writing, in a handy book or notes by our side when trying to do the best we can for these marvelous little creatures who are depending on us for their very survival & proper development?

Another excerpt: "Very young babies should be fed at the lower end of the range and the older, more finicky, birds at the higher end. Remember that if several birds are being fed at the same time, the temp. of the formula will fall while you are feeding. If the chicks seem to lose interest in feeding, recheck the temperature. If it has become cool to the touch or just barely warm enough, this could cause the problem. The food should be heated to the proper temp. before feeding is attempted again".

To answer your last question: IME, once the crop is properly filled and undulating, the babies will be satisfied and not beg for more formula - that is normally, if there is no underlying problem.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies and for all the help. I think the breeder was mistaken telling me that this baby is two feedings per day; however, it became clear to me that this baby needs more than two feedings per day. I'm feeding 3 and 4 times per day or as often as the little guy wants to eat.

I'm now responsible for this baby's well being and will do what I have to do to get this baby thru this period. So far so good. I'm mixing the formula to a pudding/apple sauce consistency, getting the temp between 107 and 110 degrees F and know where to place the syringe so as not to aspirate the baby.

Question, if after he is fed and his crop is full will he still have the feeding reflex or do they stop once they had enough to eat?

Last edited:

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Great advice PTB :)

Wish I'd been able to see Danny when he was at that stage of development, but there's no way I'd have take on the responsibility of raising him (had I the opportunity).

Cant wait to see the continued updates on this little one's development :D

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Hi Everyone,

Prince Toasty Buns recommended I get the book "Handfeeding & Nursery Management". The book is quite expensive. Is there another book someone can recommend?

Thanks!

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Karen,

The breeder was definitely mistaken/incorrect if you were told that this baby should only be on 2 feedings per day. Best to always get advice in writing.

Feedings are not to be based upon how often the bird wants to eat but rather on when the crop is empty or nearly empty. Filling the crop to the proper level is important and proper crop stretching is also important (for optimum chick development & safety), as are food temps and consistency, etc. etc. etc. ... Once again I suggest you get (asap) the book I mentioned which will explain all this in detail. You did not comment on whether you plan on doing so or not? You can probably have it shipped to you via overnight mail.

IME, your baby should be getting fed 4 times minimum per day (at current stage in its development).

Here is a partial excerpt from the book I mentioned: "When a crop is properly filled, it will feel taut to the touch. The same amt. of formula should be fed for the following few feedings. At this point, the same quantity of food will not fill the crop completely. Once again the crop can be stretched to hold a bit more........". The book explains how to properly stretch a crop, food temps, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. ............ so please do right by this bird and any future baby birds by purchasing it. Same advice for anyone who handfeeds. One may think he or she knows all there is to know about handfeeding etc. but I don't think any of us truly does 100%.

Once this book is read completely and written notes taken to have by one's side when handfeeding, then and only then (IMO) can one honestly feel they have "expert advice" at their fingertips. Of course this is not the only book to have, other books will prove valuable tools also - along with the well intention advice of experienced board members here or on any other board.

Here is another excerpt from the book: "The normal internal body temp. of a bird is between 101 & 103 degrees F. Formula fed at these temps. would be considered normal to the chick & is readily accepted ........" "Through experimentation with different temps. it was also discovered how high the limits were before the food caused damage to the bird's crop".

"The maximum safety zone for feeding formula was established at 105 to 110 degrees F. ... Anytime formula is fed at 100 degrees or below the chicks tend to refuse it. If it is fed higher than 110 there is a possibility that some spots in the crop wall will be burned or damaged. Each chick has a preferred temp. at which it will feed best. Once that temp. zone is discovered it will be to the feeder's benefit to be consistent & always heat formula to this level".

Ok y'all, so does the above info. wet the appetitie of any responsible breeder/handfeeder to now order this book? Isn't it best to have every detail of proper handfeeding spelled out for us, in writing, in a handy book or notes by our side when trying to do the best we can for these marvelous little creatures who are depending on us for their very survival & proper development?

Another excerpt: "Very young babies should be fed at the lower end of the range and the older, more finicky, birds at the higher end. Remember that if several birds are being fed at the same time, the temp. of the formula will fall while you are feeding. If the chicks seem to lose interest in feeding, recheck the temperature. If it has become cool to the touch or just barely warm enough, this could cause the problem. The food should be heated to the proper temp. before feeding is attempted again".

To answer your last question: IME, once the crop is properly filled and undulating, the babies will be satisfied and not beg for more formula - that is normally, if there is no underlying problem.
PTB thanks for all your time. I would like to have that book; however, a new or even used is incredibly expensive. Asking members for their book recommendations. Thanks again for your help.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Hi Everyone,

Prince Toasty Buns recommended I get the book "Handfeeding & Nursery Management". The book is quite expensive. Is there another book someone can recommend?

Thanks!
Is $45 really that expensive? If so, I respectfully suggest you do not get involved any further with birds. Please take that comment in the well intentioned manner it was meant. Raising & keeping birds can get very expensive if done right.

Btw, I got another copy off of Amazon.com for $20 approx., a few months ago because someone spilled coffee all over my original $45 book and all the pages stuck together (lol). Anyone know of a simple and easy way to unstick pages of a hard-cover book without ruining or ripping the pages?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
107-110 that's hot! :omg: 103-104 was the max for my bird via the breeder, she said too hot you can burn their crop. So get a GOOD digital baby thermometer.

And the book sounds like something that will be beneficial!

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Is $45 really that expensive? If so, I respectfully suggest you do not get involved any further with birds. Please take that comment in the well intentioned manner it was meant. Raising & keeping birds can get very expensive if done right.

Btw, I got another copy off of Amazon.com for $20 approx., a few months ago because someone spilled coffee all over my original $45 book and all the pages stuck together (lol). Anyone know of a simple and easy way to unstick pages of a hard-cover book without ruining or ripping the pages?
PTB
If you look at the postings I ordered the book! I have bought books from a site that had the absolute lowest prices. When I pulled that book up they wanted $69-$239 then waterfaller1 came up with a link.

Last edited:

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
PTB thanks for all your time. I would like to have that book; however, a new or even used is incredibly expensive. Asking members for their book recommendations. Thanks again for your help.
Wondering where you got that info. which is false, that the book is "incredibly expensive".

You are welcome regarding the thanks for the time. No biggie, I only wish I knew people (or I wish I had a computer then) when I started into bird keeping - people who were willing to take the time to steer me straight to learn what I needed to know then. Had to mostly go thru the school of hard-knocks myself to get the experience I now have. These bird boards are a truly great tool, so we all can share what we have learned for the benefit of our little feathered friends. Gotta luv em'!!!

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
PTB
If you look at the postings I ordered the book! I have bought books from a site that had the absolute lowest prices. When I pulled that book up they wanted $69-$239 then waterfaller1 came up with a link.
Great! Sometimes I respond to posts without reading the whole thread thru first. Forgive me. ;)

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
A baby should be fed to 10% of it's body weight at each feeding. Overfeeding can stretch the crop. Abundance weaning is more than a bowl of pellets. It is food spread all over the place. Different textures, colors. Soaked pellets handed to him with your finger. There are several threads and links here on abundance weaning. He is adorable, congrats!
Thanks waterfaller1. Will make note of that.

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
anyone have a weight chart for a DYH at this young age?

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Wondering where you got that info. which is false, that the book is "incredibly expensive".

You are welcome regarding the thanks for the time. No biggie, I only wish I knew people (or I wish I had a computer then) when I started into bird keeping - people who were willing to take the time to steer me straight to learn what I needed to know then. Had to mostly go thru the school of hard-knocks myself to get the experience I now have. These bird boards are a truly great tool, so we all can share what we have learned for the benefit of our little feathered friends. Gotta luv em'!!!
www.alibris.com. see for yourself. They are normally extremely inexpensive which is why I tried them first. then waterfaller1 gave me a link for a book which was much more reasonable.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
107-110 that's hot! :omg: 103-104 was the max for my bird via the breeder, she said too hot you can burn their crop. So get a GOOD digital baby thermometer.

And the book sounds like something that will be beneficial!
Yes, I would stay in the lower range myself, just to be slightly on the safer side - never know (I guess) when a thermometer might not be working properly?

I myself have always only placed samples of the well stirred formula on the underside of my wrist (after being well stirred and I mean well stirred) - never used a thermometer for formula myself (do recommend though that others do). I place a sample on my wrist more than once and even on both wrists, in case one wrist has been somewhat desensitized over time. I have handfed and cropfed hundreds of birds over the last 20 yrs. or so and never yet have I burned a crop.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Thanks for giving that link to Karen & the rest of us Carole. Another site that I have ordered that book from (meant to give it to Karen in my other post to her) is Avian Publications.com.

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Yes, I would stay in the lower range myself, just to be slightly on the safer side - never know (I guess) when a thermometer might not be working properly?

I myself have always only placed samples of the well stirred formula on the underside of my wrist (after being well stirred and I mean well stirred) - never used a thermometer for formula myself (do recommend though that others do). I place a sample on my wrist more than once and even on both wrists, in case one wrist has been somewhat desensitized over time. I have handfed and cropfed hundreds of birds over the last 20 yrs. or so and never yet have I burned a crop.
I bring the temp to 110 but by the time I actually start feeding it is at something below 110 and I do stick my clean finger in the formula before feeding.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Feedings are not to be based upon how often the bird wants to eat but rather on when the crop is empty or nearly empty.

I have to sort of disagree with you PTB. I have never waited for a chick to become empty or "nearly" empty. I find once they are 1/2 way through their food in their crop, or 2/3 the way through it, they begin their baby cries again. And I feed. I go by how often the baby wants food. Not by how slow or fast the crop empties. If you feed watery formula, its going to empty very fast, if you feed too thick of formula, it'll empty slowly, and if a bird has slow crop, you will have to feed by how often the crop empties. But if the chick is fed proper consistency for its age, and its a healthy chick, I feed whenever it starts to cry. I dont let babies cry. This is just my honest belief, and out of many baby birds, I have never had any die or get sick on me (I have acquired baby birds that died do to illness and have gotten baby birds that were sick to begin with, though, but not due to how I handfeed).

You dont have to go off of one book to be a great handfeeder or bird keeper. I have never read that book, and unless I see it anytime soon in person, and at a good price, will not buy it anytime soon. Am I a bad bird owner? Should I not get anymore birds in my future because of this? I dont think its right to tell someone not to be involved with birds, if they cannot or will not get that book. The internet itself is full of abundant information(and its free!). Just read a lot of sites, and then ask input from people who have done it for quite sometime and go from there. I didnt get to where I am today with books. I am sure they were a good portion, but most of my knowledge and experience has come from people who have done things for quite some time and through my own experiences.

Last edited:

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Hello,

Does anyone have an audio of babie cries? Seriously, what does it sound like. My baby makes a noise when he sees anyone that kinda sounds like a little goat (sorry best way to describe).

Status
Not open for further replies.