• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Look what I found in the garage this morning

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
This morning before work I was out in the garage messing around and look what I found. I am still hobbling around a little bit from dropping the swag tool on my right foot almost a month ago. I had hairline fractures on my big toe and the one next to it and a lot of bruising. It is still rather sore and still bruised pretty good, the swelling is down. I hit it this morning getting away from the snake! I never expected to see it in the garage and certainly not this big of one. My neighbor has had them in her garage before. We have seen a lot of snakes this year in our yard, more the years prior. My husband was out looking around the yard after he killed this one and found one up under the storage building in the backyard. I just checked and he is still out there, we'll get him when hubby gets home. The chicken wire worked to keep the big ones from getting under there but I could see where something had been getting under the chicken wire the other day. My husband just killed one last week Monday or Tuesday and I've lost count of how many he has killed this year.

this one was in the garage
garage.JPG

this is the one still under the storage building
storage 1.JPG storage 2.JPG

Did you all see on the news about the lady in Arizona that found a black and pink coachwhip snake in her toilet. That has always been one of my biggest fears, when I was a kid one of my grandparents neighbors had a cottonmouth in their toilet. They a septic system and it somehow got in there.

So of course it reignited my fear about finding a snake in the toilet, so far I have been lucky! The other night I found this in the toilet, I retrieved him and put him back outside.

toilet.JPG

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh wow that would be quite shocking to come across especially when you aren't expecting it! Sorry your having such a snake issue they are such helpful amazing creatures but not in your garage!

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
Oh wow that would be quite shocking to come across especially when you aren't expecting it! Sorry your having such a snake issue they are such helpful amazing creatures but not in your garage!
I am not afraid of snakes but I am afraid of that venom! This year it is just ridiculous, all the snakes and I think it is partly because we always have a lot of rabbits having babies in our yard and the snakes come for the baby bunnies. I worry about my dogs getting bit, they have the rattlesnake shots but that doesn't guarantee anything, it gives us a better chance of them living after they are bitten. There have been too many this year it makes me uncomfortable. Our neighborhood sits down in a little canyon and guess what it was called before they built any houses... Rattlesnake Canyon!

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I was going to ask you if that first pic was a rattlesnake, but the name of the canyon verified that.
I think I would have had a heart attack if I saw something like that in our garage.
We have alot of spiders in our backyard and our garage, so I won't go near it.
Hope your foot heals quickly and don't get bit by that snake. Ugh.
:scared1:

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
I was going to ask you if that first pic was a rattlesnake, but the name of the canyon verified that.
I think I would have had a heart attack if I saw something like that in our garage.
We have alot of spiders in our backyard and our garage, so I won't go near it.
Hope your foot heals quickly and don't get bit by that snake. Ugh.
:scared1:
Girl I almost did have a heart attack!
Both are Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes, you can tell that by the black and white bands on the tail tip. Being bitten by a western diamondback rattlesnake would put you in the hospital, most people don't die but my understanding is it is VERY Painful.

WDRT.png

My foot/toe if throbbing a bit today from popping it this morning. I dropped my swage tool on it, it is the very large metal tool to the far right in this picture and is about 18 to 20" long and weighs 5 pounds probably. It is used to crimp the ferrule on cable.

swage.JPG
Here's a video not mine just off youtube.

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
We won! This big sucker is dead and out from under the storage building! Hallelujah!

SB2.JPG SB1.JPG