• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lone breeder parrotlette.

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
I was given 2 retired breeder parrotlettes. Although they were not an original pair they became close friends. The hen has died and now I am concerned about the male that I have left. What can I do regarding the quality of his life. I am afraid to get another hen in case they do not get along. Will he be okay on his own? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
He should be ok on his own..you need to give him time to mourn...it is never a good idea to get a bird for another bird as they may not get along, as you say. Give him plenty of toys to play with and lots of treats..he should be fine.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I agree with Anne, I'd just get lots of toys and treats and spoil him. He should be fine alone.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I personally think he should have another parrotlet buddy. Even if they don't get along. Thats what seperate cages are for.:)

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
I am torn about the possibility of "another cage" in case they don't get along. I am getting maxed out re: space, but he has been used to having a mate all his life and I am unsure that he will be "happy". What a dilemma.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am torn about the possibility of "another cage" in case they don't get along. I am getting maxed out re: space, but he has been used to having a mate all his life and I am unsure that he will be "happy". What a dilemma.
if the death is fairly recent I still think you need to give him time to mou rn....by replacing his mate right away y ou may give the little guy the impression that he is also replaceable...I say wait a reasonable amount of time..

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I think eventually adding another buddy for him would be beneficial. What about trying to add another older male?

animallover

Jogging around the block
I agree with Anne and some of the others. He needs time to mourn and replacing her with another bird at this point may not be a good idea. Give him LOTS of love and toys and treats and he should be ok through this grieving period. If you want to get a second parrolet (maybe a older male) at a later date that would be ok but keep them both in separate cages. How much time a day do you get to spend with him and is he out of his cage a lot of time during the day? If so he should be ok and not need another buddy. He will enjoy his time with you and then his rest time alone. If you don't get to spend a lot of time daily with him then maybe another buddy down the road might be a good idea. But again keep them in separate cages until you are sure they are getting along without problems then maybe you can put them together down the road. Good luck! Make sure you give your bird you have now lots of love and attention and toys and time out of his cage so he can heal emotionally and move one.

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
Thanks for the replies...she died a couple of days ago. He keeps calling for her and is not eating very much. They live in a large flight cage due to them not being able to come out as they were not tame at all and it was a bugger catching them to return them to their cage. So, he will not get the same attention as my other birds who can come out. What about getting another breeder and keeping it in a cage side by side with the goal of seeing if they would be able to go in one cage? I know that it may not happen, but he attached to this last bird and she was not his original mate. Would a male get along with the one I have now? I would have thought they would fight with each other?
I am worried as I can see he is not eating very much and I don't want to lose him too.

Vicki

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Just thinking...did the hen die of natural causes or was she sick? Any possibility the male could be sick also? I don't know if a bird stops eating as a sign of grieving?