1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Local Zoo's Memorial to Famous Bird

Discussion in 'The Zoological Park' started by taxidermynerd, 9/19/17.

1. taxidermynerd

taxidermynerd Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Tailgating Party!

Bee (pronouns they/them)
    My local zoo (Brookfield Zoo in Brookfield, IL) is putting up a statue dedicated to Cookie, the Major Mitchell's cockatoo. He died in 2016 and was the last living animal from the original collection when the zoo opened in 1934.

Cookie was on display in the birds building (if you've been there, it's the building where reptiles are now, where the macaws are in the walk-in aviary) and in his later years, lived in the staff area, coming out every year for his birthday party! He lived to be 83, and he was believed to be the oldest member of his species alive in captivity. He was also one of the longest-lived birds on record and was recognised by the Guinness World Records as the oldest living parrot in the world.

Here's the zoo's page on the statue unveiling- Chicago Zoological Society - Cookie Cockatoo Statue Unveiling
    And the Wikipedia page on Cookie the Cockatoo- Cookie (cockatoo) - Wikipedia

SandraK, Ankou, tka and 8 others like this.
  2. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Well that is wonderful. Hope you get a photo for us.

taxidermynerd likes this.
  3. taxidermynerd

taxidermynerd Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Tailgating Party!

Bee (pronouns they/them)
    I most certainly will! I'm not sure if I'll be going to the unveiling (crowds+anxiety+IBS=not good) but sometime soon we'll be going! I'll be sure to take some really good pictures!

faislaq and Hankmacaw like this.
  4. macawpower58

macawpower58 Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

I used to love seeing Cookie's birthday posted each year. So sad when he passed.

I'm glad he got a memorial.

Ankou, faislaq, Clueless and 2 others like this.
  5. Meggie

Meggie Strolling the yard

Megan

I remember seeing Cookie as a kid! It's so wonderful that they are honoring his memory with a statue!

taxidermynerd likes this.
  6. taxidermynerd

Bee (pronouns they/them)
    I realize it's been a while since I updated this thread, but I finally got out to Brookfield yesterday. I found the memorial bench, with the statue. So here it is![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SandraK, JLcribber, Ankou and 10 others like this.
  7. Love My Zons

Love My Zons Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran Vendor

Claire
    That gives me goosebumps! Magical looking that statue is and I think they are awesome for really making this an important legacy of Cookie!

WallyLoopey and Clueless like this.
  8. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

That's wonderful!

9. Lwalker

Lwalker Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue

Lori
    What a lovely memorial.

10. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Tailgating Party! I Can't Stop Posting!

Sandra
    Didn't see this until now but I believe I have a photo of Cookie from 2015 when the AFA held its conference in Chicago (i.e. Rosemont).

P1030013.JPG

Lwalker, Ankou, WallyLoopey and 2 others like this.
  11. Sweet Louise

Sweet Louise Jogging around the block

Pat
    It is very cool. Isn't Rosie the oldest on AA? How old is she? I loved the pics posted of her during the contest a few weeks back. And thank you for posting a pic of the memorial for Cookie.

SandraK likes this.
  12. WallyLoopey

WallyLoopey Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran Vendor Tailgating Party!

Kate
    Wow, so interesting! How cool for it to be local for you!

SandraK likes this.
  13. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Vendor

Tanya
    SandraK likes this.
  14. EllaMay

EllaMay Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Tailgating Party!

April
    Beautiful memorial!

15. zoo mom

zoo mom Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran Tailgating Party! I Can't Stop Posting!

Elaine
    It's beautiful.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)