• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Living in an RV with parrots

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
We are hopefully going to be closing on a patch of land sometime soon. If it goes well and we get the property, once we get electric and a well, my parents want to live in an RV on the property while we work on it and can build our house. That would probably be for around 2 years. This gives me anxiety. I am so excited about our land (I will finally be able to adopt some chickens!), but not so excited about having to live in an RV for awhile. Mainly because of my birds.

We went and looked at larger destination RVs, and found one that will work space wise. There is a large open living space, with the kitchen attached, a pretty nice sized loft, a bathroom, and a nice sized bedroom. In order to make it work for my birds, my parents are willing to give up the bedroom and sleep on the pull out couch in the main living space. After you take the large bed out of the bedroom, it is a very nice sized room. All of the cages would fit okay. The bedroom has a real closing door, so the cat and dog would be able to roam the loft and living space, but NOT get to my birds. Space wise, for short term, it can work. I would be able to build an outdoor aviary for my birds, so that they could (in shifts) spend lots of time in a big space outdoors.

There are some things that are worrying me. The main thing is the oven and stove. Every RV I have been in uses propane for their oven/stove. My mom would ideally like to switch it to an electric stove, but the sales person isn't sure if that is possible. He is looking into it for us. The heat and water heater are also propane. I doubt we would ever use the heat, because we live in Florida, and whenever it gets cold it is a real treat. The water heater vents outside, so not in the house. I am very worried about the propane stove if we can't get it switched. My mom has made it clear, although she would like to accommodate me, she won't give up the RV just because of a stove, and doesn't think it would be a big deal. If we couldn't get it switched, would it be very dangerous to my birds? Their door will be shut, and I can stuff something in the gap under the door. I could probably open the windows in their room too.

Another thing, the space where the washer and dryer go is in the bedroom (where the birds will be!). I do NOT like this! It is a little closet in the bedroom, so not out in the open in the room. Would any kind of dryer be safe? It has to be small! There is one at the RV place that is a combo washer/dryer, that my parents would ideally like, so I will post a picture of that to see what you think.

Is there anything else you guys can think of that would be a problem? No worries about the dog and cat, we would be VERY careful to never let them in there! I don't like that the birds would all be in the same room (I like for Jester and Grey Bird to be in a separate room from my littles), but they are right now so it wouldn't really be all that different. I would have the aviary that the budgies and conures could fly in, and could have them out in the room in shifts with me in there. So I am not very worried about that.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Here is the washer/dryer.

IMG_3754.JPG IMG_3755.JPG

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Could you put them in outside cages while cooking? I wouldn't think propane would leak from a connector in a new RV. @Hankmacaw ???

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
I could put them outside. I'm not sure how safe it would be if we were cooking dinner at night though... I don't what kind of animals will come out after dark (very forest like area!). I wouldn't want me or my birds to get eaten! lol!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Actually, the propane is the least of your worries. The dog and cat are a lot more dangerous. You might consider trying to change to electricity very carefully. If you change to electricity then if the electric goes out you have nothing to cook with or to have hot water or to heat with.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Can you hook up a generator to the RV??