• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Live plants

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
So I've got 2 hibiscus bushes and a small banana tree that had to come in this winter. They can either go in the garage or the bird room. I'm not sure if I feel comfortable with them going in the birdroom. They might dig in the dirt and get sick etc. Any thoughts or ideas? Right now they're in my bathroom but they can't stay there. I'd like to keep them alive through the winter if possible.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Not sure...but probably do best in the room with the most light....

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have a hibiscus tree that I bring indoors for the winter. It is in a room with a window that faces south. It is still blooming. I will trim it when it finishes flowering. Not sure if it can stay in a garage - I think it needs some light. I do not have any real plants in my bird room as my birds will dig in the dirt. No advice about the banana tree.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I just looked them up and from what I can see they are both alright for birds. The only worry might be the soil. Can you repot them with soil that you know where it came from and know it's safe? I have a "thing" for bananas. In my area I can grow Musa Basjoo outside if I mulch really good in the winter. I just love the huge leaves and greenery. Also, maybe put them in the shower and wash the leaves off just in case there might be some outdoor pollutants on the leaves.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Our house finch we raised LOVED eating any of my plants and the dirt, and fertilizer and all. I tried to keep her out but she was a tiny unstoppable force. It never hurt or even bothered her at all. I wouldn't recommend any birds eating plant soil but she survived just fine and got plenty of minerals and dirt in her diet. Just make sure none of your plants are actually deadly or cause paralysis as I met a B/G macaw once who had paralyzed legs due to eating some decorative plant that the owners had no clue was known to do that to birds.