1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

List of important training topics

Discussion in 'The Training Court' started by Atomiklan, 6/14/17.

1. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    I meant that you can train the bird to take meds and clip nails without the need for a towel.

2. Tim

Tim Rollerblading along the road Super Moderator

^^This! My two both let me hold them in my hand on their back and clip their nails! Even my girl who doesn't really like to be scratched, and who refuses to let me touch her wings, will let me clip her nails!

Tiel Feathers and WendyN like this.
  3. Atomiklan

Atomiklan Jogging around the block

Andrew
    Ha, I had never actually considered the prospect of not having to use a towel. I guess I just assumed it would always be a fight. Good to know. This method would of course be ideal to reduce stress, but towel training will still be important for other procedures and for different stages of life I am sure. Thanks!

4. Laurie

Laurie Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran Vendor

Laurie
    Playing with a towel and getting you bird comfortable with a towel is so important. I have yet to do it but my one bird who is at least comfortable being near a towel is so much more calm when I do towel her. She no struggling or elevated heart rate. I don't think she likes it per say but she tolerates it so much better then the others who I am still working on.

schnitzle likes this.
  5. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    One of my birds also tolerates the towel very well, and the other three are okay with it. They don't try to frantically get away, but they don't like it either. Two of my birds will play with the towel after.

Laurie likes this.
  6. Atomiklan

Andrew
    Added two other good topics. Socialization and desensitization.

7. saroj12

saroj12 Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

saroj
    Currently retraining JoJo to fly to a wiffle ball, fetch it and drop it in my hand. He was an expert at it but he got bored and I didn't have a new training prepared. Right now he grabs the ball ihold out to him and drops it in my waiting hand. Tonight he will be dropping it in a dish.

8. Atomiklan

Andrew
    Any last comments/suggestions or should I call this list essentially complete for now?

9. Atomiklan

Andrew
    Somehow I forgot to add house training to the list...

10. WendyN

WendyN Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Wendy
    @Atomiklan
    Thank you for compliling this list.

Atomiklan and schnitzle like this.
  11. Atomiklan

Andrew
    Cleaning out my host server. The link I posted long ago at the beginning of this thread should now be dead, but don't worry, I have preserved an image of the original contents of that link here for archival purposes now that this discussion should be dead. Thanks

Capture.PNG

Tiel Feathers and WendyN like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)