• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnies outside of their cage?

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
I hope that one day Kiwi will trust me enough to want to come out of his cage. However, seeing what kind of pooh these little birds produce kinda worries me about letting him out. What a watery mess those poops are! YIKES!! How do you not end up with this awful poop everywhere in your room or house if you let your birds out of their cages? :mop::scrubfloors2:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi holds her poop all night and sometimes the beginning of the morning. When she poops for the first time it is enormous and wet. That's when I change our her cage paper. But during the day her poops look a little more like my past big parrots. Also since Gigi is eating mainly pellets her poops might be a little smaller and formed. She seems to poop every time there is a transition, when she gets to a new place, so I carry a paper towel under her. Everyone talked about the famous Linnie poop but I'm not finding it a big deal outside the cage.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey Denise, did you name your baby Kiwi?

Last edited:

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
I have been calling him Kiwi. Not sure I'm stuck on that name though. It just doesn't seem to fit or I'm not use to it. Something about it doesn't feel right but that's what I've been calling him. I usually like human names for my animals so maybe that is why it doesn't feel right? I am calling him Kiwi because of his color. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear some. :) I also have no idea if he is a male or female. I'm hoping it's a male.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My breeder said the males have darker bands and dots and also I read that they also have a blockier head. He guessed that Gigi is a girl and it seems right to me. No need to DNA test, it doesn't matter to me. Gigi sure seems like a girl.

I have named so many pets. Some I name for personality like Sassy or Mischief (Missy). Holly was a Christmas/birthday gift. Some for the area that they are from like Savannah for my girl gouldian finch, Nina and Paco were my caiques. Linnies are from Central America so maybe a latino/hispanic name. Like Benito and call him Benny? Mateo could be Matty? I just looked at the most popular Hispanic names online. But I do like human boy names like Sam and Jack. Your baby is turquoise, maybe Turk? :)

Katnap

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Katrina
Gemma is out of her cage a lot during the day. We have polar fleece fabric that we keep along the back of the couch where she usually hangs out (it sounds a little gross but if you let it dry and then it flakes off easily before laundering). She will usually poop before she flies to a new location so as long as we have her regular perching areas covered then the rest of the house is pretty safe. She does spend quite a bit of time with my shoulder as her perch and she will poop on me too....again a piece of polar fleece worn like a short cape protects my shirt. I've been meaning to make a more tailored collar that I can wear that has a button and just covers my shoulders but that will have to come later.
As Dona said, morning poops are bigger and once she's out things are more manageable, watch out for cherry and blueberry poops....those will stain!! I also make sure that she has areas near her perches to get snacks and water, she doesn't often want to go to her cage once she's out and we want to keep her hydrated in the heat.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gemma is out of her cage a lot during the day. We have polar fleece fabric that we keep along the back of the couch where she usually hangs out (it sounds a little gross but if you let it dry and then it flakes off easily before laundering). She will usually poop before she flies to a new location so as long as we have her regular perching areas covered then the rest of the house is pretty safe. She does spend quite a bit of time with my shoulder as her perch and she will poop on me too....again a piece of polar fleece worn like a short cape protects my shirt. I've been meaning to make a more tailored collar that I can wear that has a button and just covers my shoulders but that will have to come later.
As Dona said, morning poops are bigger and once she's out things are more manageable, watch out for cherry and blueberry poops....those will stain!! I also make sure that she has areas near her perches to get snacks and water, she doesn't often want to go to her cage once she's out and we want to keep her hydrated in the heat.
Hey Kat! I was thinking about buying or making something for my shoulders as well. Right now I cover up with a baby cloth tossed over my shoulder. Maybe an art smock? Haircut smock? Snap front muumuu, cut off and hemmed, lol? Gigi actually hasn't pooped on me but I'm sure she will at some point. I mostly need something to protect me from her little nibbles on my freckles.

A Lynn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
I hope that one day Kiwi will trust me enough to want to come out of his cage. However, seeing what kind of pooh these little birds produce kinda worries me about letting him out. What a watery mess those poops are! YIKES!! How do you not end up with this awful poop everywhere in your room or house if you let your birds out of their cages? :mop::scrubfloors2:
I haven't really had a problem with the poop. Or maybe I'm just used to it :eek:
I keep wet wipes nearby and just wipe up as needed.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I did what I said I was going to do. I bought several cotton blouses that I plan to wear over my clothes if Gigi is going to spend a lot of time on my shoulder. They look kind of like scrubs but have buttons. I actually bought them at a yard sale.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
I did what I said I was going to do. I bought several cotton blouses that I plan to wear over my clothes if Gigi is going to spend a lot of time on my shoulder. They look kind of like scrubs but have buttons. I actually bought them at a yard sale.
That's a good idea Dona