• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Linnie threw up, now not drinking/eating

Trry

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Terry
I brought home my first linnie, Coti. It was a 1,5 hour drive. He threw up 3 times during the drive. So I covered his whole cage. He seemed to feel better that way. We've been home for 3 hours now. He explored the whole cage with energy except the water and food bowl.
He's sleeping in a corner now. Doesn't want any millet either. I put a some water next to him but he isn't interested. Only wants to sleep.
Should I be worried because he threw up about dehydration? Or can I just leave him be until tomorrow?

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's a high likelihood that he just got car sick. My Cinnie Turq Greenie would always get sick as the years went on. But since he's new to you I'd definitely err on the side of caution and keep a close eye on him. He may not be eating because he's in a new home or it could because his stomach is upset still.

It's hard to know if he's just sleeping because of the excitement of the day and he's tired/plus the vomiting or if he's actually sick. If he was mine I'd leave him be for now unless he genuinely seems in distress or there's more vomiting and he's fluffed and weak seeming.

Do you have a vet appointment already scheduled for him.? If not I'd try to make one just for a general wellness exam and explain to them how he's acting and see what their thoughts are.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Trry

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Terry
There's a high likelihood that he just got car sick. My Cinnie Turq Greenie would always get sick as the years went on. But since he's new to you I'd definitely err on the side of caution and keep a close eye on him. He may not be eating because he's in a new home or it could because his stomach is upset still.

It's hard to know if he's just sleeping because of the excitement of the day and he's tired/plus the vomiting or if he's actually sick. If he was mine I'd leave him be for now unless he genuinely seems in distress or there's more vomiting and he's fluffed and weak seeming.

Do you have a vet appointment already scheduled for him.? If not I'd try to make one just for a general wellness exam and explain to them how he's acting and see what their thoughts are.
That's what I thought, car sickness. Before at the lady's place where I got him he was eating and drinking fine. So I think it's the stress of a new environment why he isn't eating or drinking.
The only thing worrying me is the chance of dehydration if he doesn't drink soon. I don't want to stress him out even more so I might just let him be for the night

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Just leave him to rest.

My macaw vomits on car trips and it seems to tire him out and knock out his appetite for a few hours.
He’s always fine after a good rest.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Leave him alone, to recoup..
Absolutely never syringe water , if you were thinking that , do not do it. Birds choke on plain water and aspirate. He will drink when ready.

You can offer applesauce, or apples , or a little fruit. They have extra moisture, and a little natural sugars will help balance any electrolytes. Too much sugary fruit will upset gi . So just a little, and grapes aren't a great choice. Blackberry, or raspberry, or blueberry, or plum ( remove pit) or cherry ( remove pit) or pomegranate they can eat the hard seed part in those if they choose, or a little pear or apple, or mango . Fresh veggies also a great choice, thawed frozen peas, bell pepper, cooked sweet potato, romaine, or Swiss chard .

My birdie like others mentioned gets car sick and vomits. Poor little babies.

Congratulations on your new one!!!

Don't disturb tonight . Tomorrow always announce yourself with a hello before you walk to cage . Walk up chatting to the front , be predictable and use same phrase and come from the front . As much as you will probably want, don't be staring at him . They are prey, and the feel nervous under scrutiny..