• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie or a Parrotlet?

JustRaina

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I've decided to add a bird to the household and I'm doing my research. I have narrowed it down I think to either a linnie or a parrotlet, unless of course someone blows my mind with a perfect fit bird I've never heard of yet.

I work from home and love the idea of a feathered companion to share my days with. I am at my desk (where the cage would be set up) for 9 hours a day and the plan is to have the office door closed and the bird having free range of the room for the majority of that time each day. I'm busy at work as a general rule, but not too busy to spend some quality time several times throughout the day.
  • I want something on the small end of the smart bird scale.
  • I want lots of personality.
  • I plan on having a flight type large cage, so that's not an issue.
  • The planned set up is for lots of toys to play with and an over cage play gym up the wall and by the window kind of set up. I would like a bird that is fun to watch as well as interact with.
  • I would prefer a bird that's not overly loud (I don't mean silent, I just mean less shrieky.)
I know both parrotlets and linnies both match that pretty well, but never having had a chance to see either in person I'm hoping for some expert input. :)

The only things I thought might make a difference between the two,
  • I would like to avoid a "one person parrot" if possible and have a bird able to be handled by others (with work obviously.)
  • I would like a bird that is not just hand tame, but enjoys some affection.
  • I have read that parrotlets can be more aggressive than linnies (nippy/territorial,) how much so?
  • While I intend to start with one bird, I remember also starting with one rat back when I kept them :p and understand that MBS is probable at some point. I know that additional birds can cut back on how person focused the birds are, but if there was an additional linnie at some point (housed together if they got on, with enough cage space of course) what is the likelihood that both could remain personable/handtame/in want of scritches?
I appreciate the feedback. :)

RadhaVallabhi

Rollerblading along the road
I have two parrotlets and I can definitely say that although may be closer to one person they are definitely not one person birds in the sense that they'll ignore everyone else like some birds. They eat breakfast lunch dinner with us and sits with everyone during the day whether it's on their head, lap or shoulder they just love attention!

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Parrotlets have more personality, imo. On the other hand, the linnie has more parrot-like behaviors. It uses its feet to hold things, sometimes, walks forward on a perch in this rather strange way, and hangs upside down like a a bat when sprayed. They are very fun to watch, but not nearly as hyperactive as the parrotlets. That said, we had a parrotlet (died last year) who was a little perch potato and didn't do very much. She was a rehome, however, and I don't think she had many toys in her previous home. Our current parrotlet loves his toys.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Aracari are wonderful. They will snuggle and sleep inside a shirt. Are not destructive like other birds. They are wonderful to watch. They love fruit...let them eat then cage time while they poop. Mine loved playing catch and catching the blue berries. She helped me at the computer all the time.

KayKhaos

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaylea
I have a Linnie, shes like Velcro to me but also loves when other people are around and will fly to go play with them. Only allows me to give cheek rubs to her but loves to boss others around quite hilarious in my mind. She is hand shy but slowly not becoming so afraid and allowing a hand to be near her or stepping on to a hand without running away.
Everyone who meets Loki ends up falling for her and isn't so afraid of birds as much because shes so sweet. Always doing something, and wants to be with everyone. Right now I'm on the search for a 2nd Linnie. :roflmao:

RadhaVallabhi

I have a Linnie, shes like Velcro to me but also loves when other people are around and will fly to go play with them. Only allows me to give cheek rubs to her but loves to boss others around quite hilarious in my mind. She is hand shy but slowly not becoming so afraid and allowing a hand to be near her or stepping on to a hand without running away.
Everyone who meets Loki ends up falling for her and isn't so afraid of birds as much because shes so sweet. Always doing something, and wants to be with everyone. Right now I'm on the search for a 2nd Linnie. :roflmao:
Cool sounds a lot like my parrotlets! It sounds like linnies and parrotlets are a lot alike!

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I think both are a good fit. A lot of people come to the "linnie vs parrotlet " question. The difference is that linnies are sweet and careful. And parrotlet are sassy and feisty. I wanted sweet, so I went with linnies. Also, I love their spotted behinds :p

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I'm going to switch things up and suggest a male lovebird. I adopted a lovebird this year (well, he was supposed to be a gift for my boyfriend, but the little bugger just bonded too much with me), and he is the most tame, lovable bird.

He is the most quiet of all my birds. The only time he ever vocalizes is when I get home (a sort of welcome), when he hears guinea pigs squealing, or when he gets super excited when we are playing he will scream "WOOOO". But besides that, he is almost always quiet.

He absolutely loves to be handled. I can pick him up, lay him down on his back, and pretty much touch him anywhere without a fuss. He actually just turns to mush whenever he is handled, as he just loves attention!

He is super friendly with pretty much anyone he meets. He will step up and snuggle with anyone. He just loves people!

From what I read, he is a fairly typical male lovebird (the females on the other hand, a completely different story).

Lovebirds are supposedly super territorial. Females are supposed to be worse for this. My lovebird though is unphased by other birds. He doesn't bother them, and has shared space with my bossy budgies and emotional tiels without ever showing the slightest sign of aggression.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I breed parrotlet and I've had a rescue linnie. I love linnies in a totally hands off sort of way. Could be that because my linnie was a rescue and an imperfect pet that it somehow fostered a fondness in me that my aggressive little parrotlets haven't. However, I think for many people, I parrotlet might come off as being more personable and if you get a good one, they are really awesome. Every parrotlet I've ever had has become cage aggressive. My mom gets her's out of his cage by having him step up on a little ladder first and then he can come out and be sweet. My dad and brother refuse to clean his cage when my mom's out of town because that might require opening the cage door and possible blood shed. Reach in with your finger and many parrotlets will either want to take off your finger or act a little spooky and flighty about going through the cage door on your hand. So in many cases, just opening the cage door and waiting for the bird to come out on its own is a good choice. Most of my parrotlets have also gone through one atrocious nippy phase after weaning. A trait they share with my amazons. It can be a VERY trying time and many people give up on their parrotlets during that time. Personally, I've found a more hands off approach during that time works and generally it passes after a few months. If they just want to continuously take chunks out of my finger for no apparent reason, then I don't let them be on me long enough to do that. They get a quick step up, major praise and then back down on their cage with a treat. Maybe a very quick beak rub every once in a while. From the perspective a pet owner that brings home a new baby all excited and wants that instant bond, it can be frustrating. However, normally it passes somewhere around 4-6 months old and many of the nippy ones will suddenly start leaning toward you like they want to step up, doing a little regurgitation dance and otherwise showing genuine fondness for people whereas a month before they couldn't control their beak well enough to be on people without biting whatever body part they were standing on. They will snuggle into your neck and some will enjoy petting. Many of mine prefer beak rubs. Could just be that I'm too much of a klutz to pet such a tiny bird without knocking it off balance, but I can do beak rubs without intimidating them. Some people have very pettable parrotlets. Others, less so. If you try to let a fresh weaned baby parrotlet snuggle into your neck, you will likely bleed and come away with holes in your shirt and skin. Just seems to be something they need to work out of their system. Most are very busy, very into their toys and a joy to watch.

Linnies are much less aggressive. Some can be from what I'm told but usually not. Many linnies become hand shy as they mature even if they are hand-fed and handled a lot. Many like to snuggle and are less likely to cause you pain when doing it, but they might want to step up onto your arm instead of your hand and not want to allow petting at all or not unless they are snuggled in somewhere warm and cozy first. Many people that really LOVE linnies a lot find the greatest joy in having multiples and watching their antics with each other. That means you will be kind of the semi-annoying and slightly likable part of their environment rather that their one true love.

JustRaina

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Wow, I posted this on a couple of forums and the feedback was amazing! You guys are awesome, I thank you so much for all your insight.

I think the decision has been made. It looks like it's a parrotlet for me. :D

As luck would have it I research shows me there are a couple of people who breed them locally. There is actually someone posting hand raised ready to be homed p'lets on the local craigslist as I type this. I am a planner and not ready to get my boy yet, but I spoke to her and she should have a new clutch in a few months. *twirl*

Now the fun choices begin, cages and toys and foraging buckets, oh my!

Hmmm...Vision L02 or a flight cage with a plexiglas shield around the bottom?

...I'm so gonna over buy...

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Can I ask where you live?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
".I'm so gonna over buy.."

There is a club for this behavior. Then you can join the support group for this behavior.

It really is exciting planning for the little one to come home and :Congratwav:

Melissa Marie

Meeting neighbors
Wow, I posted this on a couple of forums and the feedback was amazing! You guys are awesome, I thank you so much for all your insight.

I think the decision has been made. It looks like it's a parrotlet for me. :D

As luck would have it I research shows me there are a couple of people who breed them locally. There is actually someone posting hand raised ready to be homed p'lets on the local craigslist as I type this. I am a planner and not ready to get my boy yet, but I spoke to her and she should have a new clutch in a few months. *twirl*

Now the fun choices begin, cages and toys and foraging buckets, oh my!

Hmmm...Vision L02 or a flight cage with a plexiglas shield around the bottom?

...I'm so gonna over buy...
The Hagen Vision gages are the BEST! Personally it hink the L02 is the cadillac of bird cages. It's roomy for the little ones, and the design does an incredible job of keeping the mess to a minimum. Assembling it can be a little tricky when it comes to the corners (there should be a satisfying "CLICK" that's actually kind of difficult to get... if the corners seem unstable or bow in the middle, then they are not properly snapped together), but once it's constructed the thing is damn sturdy. I love it love it love it. The only downside is that the top is curved somewhat (higher in the middle), so if you may run into some wobble if you try to stack something on top (like a play gym).

One of the best parts of getting a new bird is shopping and setting up the cage! I hope you have a blast!

JustRaina

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
2.5 years later, and I'm finally getting my bird. :D

I have a deposit down on a green cheek who'll be weaned in about a month.

This is Ada. :)

The obsessive research and ordering of goodies has begun. :) Ada.jpg