• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie aggression

Sukibird

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
My 6 mo. old Linnie has just become a little monster, he shares a double flight cage with another male 10 mo. old. The 6 mo. old has started to scream and attack me, he has gotten very territorial and even when out of the cage has tried to attack me when I walked in front of him as he was sitting on top of his cage. Is this something that will pass with age? He has been to the vet and there are no medical issues. I have so far tried to ignore the behavior and when I open his cage I make sure that I have something in hand that he can bite into, like a piece of broccoli instaed of me. Has anyone experienced this type of behavior?

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
6 months is rather young for hormonal behavior.
Have you done anything to make him see your hand as a threat? If it's fear related, you may have to start building trust over again(taming process.).

But if its territorial, that'd be a different issue. I don't personally know much about Linnie's, but I'm sure some experienced members will offer help soon.

Good luck. :)

Sukibird

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I got the boys in December and as far as I know I have not done anything to make the younger one see my hand as a threat, but that is judging from my point of view. My hand goes into the cage to clean it and change food and water, when I let them out I open the door and let them climb out.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This behavior is very unusual for a Linnie. Is the behavior the same when the two birds are in separate cages? This could be a case of misdirected aggression meaning the 6 month old bird is getting upset either with the 10 month old or this older bird is treating him as if he is dominant. It also may very well be you have one older Linnie who is hormonal and a younger one who is not. I suggest you put them in separate cages for a while and see if the younger one is more peaceful.
Hormones can be stirring at around 8 months or older. After Spring is over you could put them back together. Are your birds getting a good quality 10 to 12 hour sleep at night? Are they getting enough fresh foods like dark leafy greens, cooked sweet potatoes, yams, squash, pumpkin; entire (tops and bottoms) fresh carrots and so forth. Not too much seed should be fed. That includes millet as Linnies are prone to obesity. Was the vet who checked your bird an avian vet?

Sukibird

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
The two have never been in separate cages the minute one is out of the others sight they call to each other, they sleep together and preen each other too. Their diet consists of Roudybush pellets, some seed and a large daily portion of kale, romaine, carrots , red cabbage, peas, corn, apples and broccoli. They get about 11 hours of sleep, lights out by 8pm and on at 7am. Yes my vet is an avain vet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sounds like here. If my Linnies are apart for more than a few minutes they scream for each other. Diet is excellent. Just pray for the end of hormonal season. I know you wanted an answer with more substance but you are doing everything right that I can tell.

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
My male acts like that in the spring, always has. I usually don't move when he does this and I talk to him quietly. Usually that works and he realizes it's me. Last year, he started to attack his mate, even though they had young in the nest. So much that I had to separate him for a month or so. If he's not attacking the other linnie, I wouldn't worry....and try not to take it personally :)

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
I got the boys in December and as far as I know I have not done anything to make the younger one see my hand as a threat, but that is judging from my point of view. My hand goes into the cage to clean it and change food and water, when I let them out I open the door and let them climb out.
mine are the same way. they do everything together. I had issues with skye at one point he was chasing his brother and yanking him off of stuff I found out that it was a rope perch that I had put in the cage. they do EVERYTHING together. so I removed it and it calmed things down quick.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Jessie your Linnies are beauties. Do you have a signature? If you want one I would love to do one for you. Just go to the signature forum and look for signatures by lady Jane. Post some good photos with names.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I think 6 months is young for hormonal behavior. That said, he is maturing and having been kept with the other linnie is now behaving aggressively towards you to chase you away from his cage mate. Even though you've been his caretaker without previous issues you are now considered an intruder despite the delivery of food and water. Unless you are willing to let them stay together and deal with aggressive behavior towards you then may consider separating the two permanently and once he settles down let them visit each other occasionally. Even putting a toy with a mirror in a cage with a male bird will make them think there is another bird in the cage they have to protect and often direct defensive behavior to their caretakers. You'll have to deal with them calling to each other for a short while until they adjust to living separately. Hopefully he will return to a more behaved attitude. I've had an issue with my female crimson belly plucking feathers from Casey ( male) when I let them visit in the evening out on a stand while I clean cages. They would mutually preen each other, she did her best to get him to mate with her and he was just a clumsy boy. I didn't want them to mate so kept an eye on them in case I needed to intervene. Eventually it led to "some" bickering along with the mutual preening and then one evening I noticed Ruby with a feather in her beak so I watched more closely as she would bury her beak in Caseys chest feathers and pull one out. That was it for me. I couldn't allow it and kept an even tighter eye on her and speaking to her when I would see her start to go for his chest. She was sneaky and did it again on following days so I would chase her away from Casey. She will not fly over to Casey when he's out now and instead stays on me while I change papers in the cages or she'll go invade Casey's food but then fly back to me when she's had what she wants and she's content to be with me. I hated to keep them from enjoying a preen session but the feather plucking is destructive behavior.