• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Limping Cockatiel

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Hello Everyone,

My 3 month old lutino keeps his left foot up. I noticed this yesterday. He is eating, preening, chirping all ok. But i am worried about this. His left foot is slightly warm as well. I saw my elder cockatiel doing something to lutino's feet. May be lutino got hurt. I am putting ice packs. any suggestions pl. i can not see any visble injury.

Thanks
:heart::tieln:piku:tiel2:chiku:heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You should be taking this bird to an avian vet as soon as you can. Sounds like your bird is in pain.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hello Everyone,

My 3 month old lutino keeps his left foot up. I noticed this yesterday. He is eating, preening, chirping all ok. But i am worried about this. His left foot is slightly warm as well. I saw my elder cockatiel doing something to lutino's feet. May be lutino got hurt. I am putting ice packs. any suggestions pl. i can not see any visble injury.

Thanks
:heart::tieln:piku:tiel2:chiku:heart:

Ice isn't going to do anything. Are you sure it's even injured. When a healthy bird sits/rests they draw one leg up under them to rest it. Quite often the same foot because they have dominant foot just like we do hands. They will alternate of course.

Does your bird walk/climb use that foot when he's moving around?

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I agree with John...they often rest with one foot drawn up. Does not seem that it should be comfortable - but if your tiels are resting like this - it is normal.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I wouldn't use ice packs, your going to make your tiel cold. If he is not using his foot normally to climb and walk, then he should see a vet, but my first thought was also that he just might be resting normally.

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
When a bird feet are warm it means they are happy healthy bird. Cold feet means they are scared or sick

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Ice isn't going to do anything. Are you sure it's even injured. When a healthy bird sits/rests they draw one leg up under them to rest it. Quite often the same foot because they have dominant foot just like we do hands. They will alternate of course.

Does your bird walk/climb use that foot when he's moving around?
Thank you for your valuable advice!:) I've seen him walk with that foot, as well as climb on to my finger.

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Thanks everyone. Since today morning chiku was fine regarding his feet. Saw him walking normally, climbing on perches. But he was not eating properly. We have to push him towards food tray. He was on seed diet full day. His dropping was very watery in the evening . May be he is scared.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he is not eating normally and his dropping have changed you may want to take him to the vet to be checked. Has he ever been checked by a vet?