• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lilly's yeast infection

Wendoline

Checking out the neighborhood
I came late to this thread, but whoever is dealing with AGY need to know that probiotics are important and improve a lot the symptoms.
My current experience (that’s why I’m here) is with my dear budgie, she was diagnosed with AGY, but when I took her to the vet she gave me probiotics while we waited for the test results, the results came to days after and I could get the medicine two days after the diagnose, so in trial four days that she was just medicated with probiotics, and I could see just during those days how her symptoms improved. I don’t think probiotics cured AGY, but help a lot creating good gut bacteria that are able to fight microorganism, I’m still giving her Amphotericin B (one month treatment), but I’m one of her meals a give her the probiotics, my bird now looks normal but the fecal post-test is the one who’ll say if she’s free of the yeast, I’ll plan to continue giving her probiotics for some period.
The brand of probiotics that Doctor gave me was Covetrus visbione

If your concern is over the probiotics, I wouldn't stress too much. There isn't a lot science to support the use of the stuff on the market in parrots. Avian probiotics are normally from chickens, which limits their effectiveness in parrots. They won't harm him, and if you feel better giving them then do it, but it's unclear whether they will actually help in a meaningful way (especially not if you give them while you're medicating). My vet doesn't bother recommending them for the above reason.

From this article:

"These limited reports in psittacine birds seem to suggest that the probiotic effect depends on the presence of sufficient numbers of live organisms and cross- species effects do occur, but more dramatic benefits may be seen when using adherent or species-specific bacteria."

Most of the studies done with parrots have found the marketed probiotic did not contain any or very little live culture. A study using cockatiels found a significant benefit to chicks using cockatiel derived live strains, but not the chicken derived live strains. Another study in macaws did see some limited benefit, but the source of the probiotic was not disclosed.

If you do get them, normally you would do so after treatment. Make sure you get a good brand that contains live cultures. If they're dead, they're no good to you at all.