• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Light up toy

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
After reading this amazing article:

True Colors: How Birds See the World
Thanks to UV vision, birds see the world very differently than we do
07-19-2012 // Cynthia Berger

I am wondering if I should play with TD with a light up musical toy like this one. Do any of you use these types toys with your cockatiels? Oops. I can't get the photo to upload. It's too big. The toy is a child's toy with four large colored keys (red, orange, yellow and green). They play different musical notes when pressed and light up.

Last edited:

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I don't have a cockatiel, but I recently bought two light up children's toys that also emit music and speech, and a plastic xylophone, for my Congo African Gray. She really does like smashing the keys on those light up toys, although I can't tell if she enjoys the sounds or really just likes smashing keys. She seems more intent on chewing up the plastic.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I'm not sure TD's heavy enough to make it light up yet. He responds to music, 50's Rock and Roll mostly. I heard/read something to the effect that you shouldn't leave a TV on for a pet bird bcuz to them it's like looking at a strobe light, and with the info about how they see color, etc. I was just curious if anyone does use these types of toys. TD gets real quiet when I play with it (and TD is hardly ever quiet)...Yet, he loves it when I play a wooden flute, so I don't know if it's the music or the lights that causes his reaction.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don't have any toys that light up, so I'm not sure. I do leave music on for my birds, and when my daughter plays her instruments, the birds tend to get more active. She plays three instruments: piano, violin, and oboe. They get very animated when she practices, especially when she plays the oboe, which is by far louder than the other two. I don't know much about tv and birds vision, except that I have heard that a lot of birds enjoy watching tv.