• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Lifespan of Lovebirds? How old is your "old" lovie?

SunUp

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
So my :heart: bird, Topaz, is 9 years old now. Is he hitting the upper end of a lovebird lifespan? Boy, I sure hope not!! The research I've done says anything from 8 to 15 years, and maybe with all the breeding that has been done to get all the different colors there really is a wide range of "typical" life span. I do personally know of a lovebird who was almost 20 when he died! I try to do everything right so he stays healthy and strong, and knock-on-wood he's never had an issue.

How old are your "old" lovebirds?

And just for fun, here's a pic of Topaz. I love this shot...I think it captures his happy attitude on life. He's such a sweety!
DSC00830.JPG

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Kiwi is 10. I wish I had known him when he was younger, as I don't really know if he's slowed down or anything. He is such a sweet bird, and all he wants from life is scritches and food. I hope he has another 10 years in him

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My vet said lovies live 10 to 20 years, and it greatly depends on nutrition and exercise and safety. Harley should be eleven or 12 this year; Blu is 5. One of my first lovies, Katie Did, was 24 when she died. She was just about totally blind with cataracts by then, but she got exercise when Harley would fly to a foraging station and then call her to fly there. He took great care of her. I found him still cuddling with her on the bottom of the cage, but she had been dead a long time and was very cold. I had to find him a new hen, Blu, because he grieved so much.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Nice to read about all these long living lovies. My Zazu is turning 2 years old tomorrow and Cricket, I don't know how old she is but she seems to be older than Zazu. Maybe 4 or 5. I hope they both live a long time.
P.S. Topaz is so gosh darn cute!! His feathers look so soft and scritchable. :xflove:

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I had a male lovie that lived to be 17.5, and he was active until the last couple of weeks of his life.
My next lovie died at 11.5 years old, but she suffered from seizures since she was 5, stopped flying at around 10, and the last few months could barely walk. She looked just like your Topaz!
After her I got a Fisher's lovebird, who died from some vascular event at 2. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him that could have caused it.
So, although some lived a long time, some we lost very early. I wonder when they say what a "typical" life span is, if they just average different cases, even those that die early by an accident, which bring the average down.

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
When I first got my birds, the life span was listed around 10 years, but now I'm reading 15-20.

I have two 12 year olds - Tweety has a liver condition that causes fluid build up, and Cupid has a mature cataract in one eye.
I have one who is at least 10 years old, but not verifiable. Sunset was my cousin's bird, but they had a lot and all but Sunset had died because the novelty had worn off the pets, so she was locked in a basement with no care or interaction. I'm not sure how old she was when I brought her home 10 years ago. She has a mature cataract in one eye and another cataract starting in the other. She has been flightless her entire life.

My previous lovebirds, one had died young due to a neck injury after I'd had her for 6 years, and her mate had died of liver disease after I'd had him for 8 years. Cupid and Tweety's sister, Angel, died at 10 years old also due to liver disease.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Thanks for responding everyone. I really enjoy hearing about other people's lovies. I think they are such great little companions. :heart:

There really seems to be quite a range in regards to lifespan. I suppose it comes down to care, and the luck of genetics giving good health.

I guess I'll just enjoy every day, and hope for many more! Here's to long life for our little friends! :drinks42:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My oldest is 10 and still going strong. I have also seen and heard of lovies that lived to be 20, so I'd say that's likely the upper range of their possible span. 12-15 might be the average. Your little one looks full of spunk and vigor, so I bet he'll be with you a while yet. :)

Blupogu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Pogo is only about 1.5 years old, but shes chronic egg layer, shes healthy but the egg laying scares me a lot, i hv read that egg laying thing goes on till age 8 or 9....i am only concerned about all the protein thats depleted during the egg laying, if i can somehow take proper care of her diet and nutrition and she doesnt get egg bound i hope to have her company for a long long time

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Topaz is a super cutie. :heart:

Peanut is 14, and happy/healthy besides some weakness in her legs her AV and I feel is probably minor arthritis.
It does scare me she's one year away from what is considered the average, but I just have to remind myself that she doesn't have an expiration date. Lovebirds can live into their 20s, Peanut could too.
So I just cherish every day and love her as much as I can.
Here is a recent picture I don't think I shared on AA of her being a cuddlebutt. And people say birds can't smile. :xflove:
They smile with their eyes. :heart:

Now I wish I could find the article but I did see somewhere, I think a study of birds in captivity, had recorded a lovebird that was 32! But all I could find was another article referencing the same study the same way I am here and no link to the actual study. You know, "I read somewhere once that looked pretty legit..." and no actual proof.
What I did find was a "record" of 17, which is utter bunk. We've had members with lovebirds far older than that on AA so I'm not sure where they are getting that number from besides the 1980's. :rolleyes:

@Ms. Jingles
Prayers for you're little one, so he might pull through. :hug8:
I hope he recovers and you have many more wonderful years together.

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Now I wish I could find the article but I did see somewhere, I think a study of birds in captivity, had recorded a lovebird that was 32!
That might be this study
"Survival on the ark: life-history trends in captive parrots"
http://biology-web.nmsu.edu/~twright/publications/Young2011AnimConserv_ZooParrotLifespans.pdf

It records max lifespan for a fischer's lovebird to be 32 years and for a peach-faced to be 34!

Another article that might have that information is
"Longevity records for Psittaciformes in captivity"
Longevity records for Psittaciformes in captivity - BROUWER - 2007 - International Zoo Yearbook - Wiley Online Library
but I couldn't view it without purchasing it.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
:rflb: I found a lady's website who said she had one up to 25 years; my guy is appx 15 & was healthy up until lead poisoning, suspected from cuttlebone, still hanging in there & on oral meds now until Sunday. I'm really hoping for the best, not ready to lose him.
Keeping positive thoughts for you :hug8:

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
:rflb: I found a lady's website who said she had one up to 25 years; my guy is appx 15 & was healthy up until lead poisoning, suspected from cuttlebone, still hanging in there & on oral meds now until Sunday. I'm really hoping for the best, not ready to lose him.
Wow, I'm so sorry. Praying for your little one. Lovebirds are so special. :hug8:

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
More prayers for your little one. :hug8: The love and trust of a little lovebird is something special. :heart: :heart:

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
@Ankou That is a super sweet picture of Peanut! :xflove: She is definitely smiling! :D