• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Let the molting Begin

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Pepper is just 5 months old- but is already beginning her first molt

I went to uncover their cage yesterday morning and my heart dropped at first when I saw all of these pearl feathers on the cage bottom, and some sticking up on her neck

She's been demanding scritches, sometimes getting cranky and giving me the tail-
poor feather duster :lol:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
That first molt is a bugger for young birds. They can be crabby! If she is will let you, gently squeeze the dry quills of the incoming feathers to free them and decrease the itchiness of the new feathers.

Caution: Directly following the first molt comes the first hormone storm when the baby becomes an adult bird; another crabby time and many birds go through a strange phase where they act wild and as if they have never seen their parront ever before!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope Pepper's first molt doesn't make him too uncomfortable! As @Laurul Feather Cat mentioned, I hope those hormones don't hit you're birdie too hard. I'm not looking forward to that stage with Cappuccino! I wish birdies didn't grow up so fast!

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
She seems to not mind getting full-on cuddles but only for a few minutes before she gets crabby again.
Hopefully the hormone storm goes smoothly; I am not looking forward to it either :rolleyes:

Pikachu will probably get his first molt started by the end of the month and then go through that stage too

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We just went through Sunshine's first molt here. He let me work his new quills- like @Laurul Feather Cat described- and I think that did help the situation.

Hormone-wise, he's changed his favorite person...it used to be my wife, now he ignores her, and will fly around the house to seek me out....

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:(:(:(
We just went through Sunshine's first molt here. He let me work his new quills- like @Laurul Feather Cat described- and I think that did help the situation.

Hormone-wise, he's changed his favorite person...it used to be my wife, now he ignores her, and will fly around the house to seek me out....
Aw, your poor wife!:(

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Bob, Sunshine seeking you out instead of your wife is probably because he wants to to continue opening up those itchy, uncomfortable quills. If you are sure Sunshine is a cock, he will go back to giving your wife attention when the hormone storm is over! They can smell whether we are male or female, and I have to admit I have seven tiel cocks who court me daily, braving my Sunshine Senegal's anger to get close to my dominant female scent....

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
She seems to not mind getting full-on cuddles but only for a few minutes before she gets crabby again.
Hopefully the hormone storm goes smoothly; I am not looking forward to it either :rolleyes:

Pikachu will probably get his first molt started by the end of the month and then go through that stage too
It's normal at about 5 months to start the first molt. Feathers everywhere here too!