• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leopard gecko not eating

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
for the past 2 nights when I've offered her meal worms she barely licks them and turns around. The only thing that's changed is the lighting. Her usual light bulb went out so I've been using a temp one and it's been on 24/7 and kinda bright. Even at night. Could her lack of eating be that she is disturbed by this new strange light?

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
About every other day

Birdlovesme

Sprinting down the street
I'd maybe try feeding her again tomorow, and see what happeneds. Otherwise keep a eye out for any unusual activies.
I'm not completely professional, but I have 2 geckos myself and this happened to them. It turns out, they where just not hungry.:blink:
But if was the light, I'd just give them a couple days to adjust.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
She only likes meal worms. We stopped getting crickets because they just hop around her and she never ate them. Mostly when she eats its around 4-5 meal worms. Also we are in FL and it's going to be a chilly night but we don't turn on the heat because it warms up pretty quickly. If I turn off the light to give her a break the only heat she has is the heating pad under her hide. Is that enough if her aquarium gets into the low 70 or less? I'll go tomorrow and replace her night bulb but for tonight all I have is the bright day one.

Birdlovesme

Sprinting down the street
Not having crickets may be a problem. I suggest feeding crickets again, but assist her with it. Maybe (this may sound bad) take off a back leg? I've had this advice for mine before. Or, as I said, just wait a day or two. See what happens.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Ok I'll see what happens tomorrow and when I get the bulb I'll get a few crickets too

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Maybe when you get a new bulb you can get a red one as well next time you need a back-up. Crickets usually will drop their back legs on their own if you grab it with a pair of tweezers (the joy of owning spiderlings and not using pinhead crickets- you learn they'll scavenge on just about anything). You could always try waxworms so long as they're used as a treat. Sometimes lizards just aren't hungry.
:lol:
Dusting the prey with calcium once a week wouldn't be a bad idea if you're not already doing this.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My gecko always eats less in the winter. I always offer but don't get too concerned as long as his poops look okay. Right now he's only eating twice a week but that seems to be his norm once it gets chilly.