• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leopard Gecko in same room as birds?

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
This is probably a dumb question but would either the birds or the Gecko be stressed out being in the same room together? The Gecko would be in a tank of course.

Back story on this is about 18 years ago my mom bought her then husband a Leopard Gecko. According to my mom he never paid any attention to Petrie the Gecko so after about 3 years she gave him away to my best friend at the time. Without consulting her husband but that is another story:rolleyes:

So my friend has had him for about 15 yrs now and we have always been friends so Petrie was still in the "family" so to speak. For personal reasons she has decided she can't keep Petrie anymore and asked that I take him in. He is not handable, hasn't been handled in many, many years. Basically he is a look don't touch kind of pet who just needs fed and cage cleaned.
I feel I need to take him because I don't want him ending up anywhere bad in his golden years. He is 18 yrs old and I believe that is rather old for a Leopard Gecko but someone can correct me if I am wrong. He doesn't seem like a difficult pet to care for so sounds like he will be coming home to me. I did let her know if he needed any vet care at some point she would have to help me out because I can not financially handle anymore pets if they get sick. She agreed.

So I have 2 cage location options, kitchen or living room. But the birds reside in the livingroom and I don't want anyone stressed out.

Thanks for any input:)

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I don't know for sure but I shouldn't think it would be a problem. Lots of folks have birds & fish in the same room. This would be similar , wouldn't it?

ImaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jessica
I don't see a problem.... Of course you would wash up real good after handling Anything dealing with him.... And if you were worried the birds might lift the lid to his tank they make locks that go
On the side of the tanks . When you clean him if you are worried you could always do all that outside with him somewhere safe while u do it. Good luck... Can't wait to hear about him.... 18 is awesome!

Last edited:

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I had a "free range" gecko named Little Sir Gecko" when I lived in the Philippines. Used to watch him stalk bugs on my ceiling. Cute little guy. He chirped like a bird. He was nocturnal. Are all geckos nocturnal?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Salmanello bacteria are common on reptiles and deadly to birds, so the caution about handwashing is very important. It is neat you have a gecko old enough to vote!

lolajenday

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
18 is very old for a gecko. It must have had really good care. Last month I lost mine she was only 3 I think she was egg bound. She was in the same room as my small birds. As long as you wash your hands the birds should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
sorry guys, I posted this and got busy. I don't have her yet, probably this weekend. I need to join a Gecko a forum because I don't think my friend cared for her the right way. She said she feeds her a dozen crickets about every 2 weeks. They need to be the medium size without wings or Petrie won't eat them. She said she puts them all in the cage and leaves them in there until she eats them all.
I think she needs to be fed more often and also don't you not leave the crickets in the cage? Won't they bite the Gecko?
Also she doesn't gut load the crickets, aren't you supposed to do that too? I know NOTHING about lizards so need to do my reading.

Honestly I am really surprised she has made it 18 yrs after hearing how little she is fed.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I have lizards (and geckos). I raise my own meal worms and feed crickets now and then. It sounds like that baby rough had it rough not eating often like mine did. Yes. Gut load. Yes feed every day. They need a humid house ( you can make this). Mine were compacted with sand. This is controversial but due to this I am anti sand. They need phosphate free calcium offered. Can be on a tiny bowl or on food. Vit supp once a week.
Under the tank heat pad. I also use a red light, 50 watt.

I hope this helps
. I wanted to throw some info out fast. They store fat in their tails but that doesn't mean they shouldn't eat everyday. Mine were super skinny when I got them.

Leo's are nocturnal. My lizards are in the same vicinity as my birds. We just wash carefully and watch the birds around heat lamps. I did not read the other posts before adding my input. If I can help let me know.
Hugs

on my phone

Quakers, Cockatiels & a Greenie

Last edited:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I have lizards (and geckos). I raise my own meal worms and feed crickets now and then. It sounds like that baby rough had it rough not eating often like mine did. Yes. Gut load. Yes feed every day. They need a humid house ( you can make this). Mine were compacted with sand. This is controversial but due to this I am anti sand. They need phosphate free calcium offered. Can be on a tiny bowl or on food. Vit supp once a week.
Under the tank heat pad. I also use a red light, 50 watt.

I hope this helps
. I wanted to throw some info out fast. They store fat in their tails but that doesn't mean they shouldn't eat everyday. Mine were super skinny when I got them.

Leo's are nocturnal. My lizards are in the same vicinity as my birds. We just wash carefully and watch the birds around heat lamps. I did not read the other posts before adding my input. If I can help let me know.
Hugs

on my phone

Yes that helps a lot, thank you!
How do you store the Crickets? I'm not sure I can handle the constant chirping of the crickets, so this may not work for me! But she has no one else to take her and can't keep her. She said she won't eat the meal worms so only feeds her crickets.

She has a UV light and under the tank heater but no heat lamp.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Uv lamp is odd being they are nocturnal. What color is the bulb? They are different from other lizards that need UVA and UVB from the sun since they are nocturnal but they must be warm.

I would try meal worms again. Did she give live ones or dead ones? They often do not like dead ones. Our crickets are in an aquarium under our beardie in a dark cabinet. The adults are the noisy ones. We buy quite a few at time. I actually love the chirping because it sounds like we are camping ha ha. They are cheaper online but I have not ordered them yet. Lizards can occasionally have wax worms and super worms and also Dubia. Geckos only eat insects unlike other lizards (like our beardie).

Let's see ... Watch your hair. Kelsey dropped a hair in their tank once and because they are clumsy eaters willow ate it. I didn't see it til it was trying to work it's way out. :( I was scared we would lose her but thank goodness we didn't. They ingest the sand used in their habitats and it can cause impaction as can all reptile bedding. I use reptile carpet, paper towel or nonslip shelf liner.

If they end up eating meal worms they are so easy to breed.

A humid house is as simple as taking a bowl with a lid likeTupperware etc and turning upside down and cutting a door in it. The lid is the floor. Then line with folded paper towel and keep moist. I keep this in a corner under the red light. The under the tank pad is so under it.

on my phone

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Oh and my birds could care less about the lizards. They all hate balloons. Something they have in common.

on my phone