• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lemon - New baby tiel!

Heidii

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Heidi
Cockatiels have always been a dream bird for me, but I wasn’t sure where my life was headed so decided a 15/20 year commitment on top of my dog would be a bit much!

Me and my partner went out on a trip for a few nights, and when we came back, his mom had bought a cockatiel! We all live together so we all take responsibility for the animals.

I’m a big advocate for the best possible animal care that I can provide, and know his cage is in need of some upgrades.

We were told this little fella is 4 months old, but I’m not too sure. Is he? Can you tell by looking at him?

Is he okay being on his own or should he have a friend?

what size cage is ideal for a tiel? Like not minimum, but a GOOD sized cage?

what agcesssories should be in his cage? I know he should have more natural things.
Il

we’re going to try and get him a cage where he can have substrate on the bottom as I’ve seen those and love how hey get to forage on the floor too.

what’s the thoughts on mirrors too? And rope toys? I’ve seen conflicting things on those.
Thanks!

Attachments

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome! And congrats on the new bird!!

We were told this little fella is 4 months old, but I’m not too sure. Is he? Can you tell by looking at him?
It’s really hard to tell by sight, but we can take guesses! Do you have a better photo of him?

Is he okay being on his own or should he have a friend
My personal opinion, start off with just him for a bit and see how he settles in. Not all birds *need* a flockmate, though most benefit from it. My personal experience- I had my male, he was doing great, and I brought home a female (not to breed, just for a friend) and they’re absolutely apathetic towards each other. They’d each be perfectly happy being a single bird.

what size cage is ideal for a tiel? Like not minimum, but a GOOD sized cage?
As big as you can get!

what agcesssories should be in his cage? I know he should have more natural things.
Mine love any toy that includes the crinkly paper shreds.

substrate
Ehhhh… my personal opinion, avoid substrate. It can harbor bacteria. I got a little mat they forage in outside of the cage. I’ll find it and link it!

what’s the thoughts on mirrors too? And rope toys?
I avoid mirrors and cotton rope. Specifically I avoid cotton rope because I’ve seen a lot of animals end up with a blockage from eating it and while I haven’t had the experience, I have anxiety :roflmao:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Congratulations! Hie exciting! Great advice

Heidii

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Heidi
Same for hamsters in terms of rope then! I had an ethical hamster rescue for quite some time and I’ve found a lot of things tiel related tie over quite nicely.
What’s the verdict on mirrors? I’ve seen so many people say absolutely not, but so many say it’s fine as long as you monitor the bird over time to make sure they don’t become obsessive.

How much bacteria can a wood based substrate harbour if cleaned regularly? Also! Hamsters do best with little full cage cleans and benefit from spot cleaning. I’m talking months without a proper cage clean and redo. Though I imagine it’s nothing like that, how often do they like their cages redone/different toys? How often do you clean their cages? Should we leave it longer this time around as he’s still settling in?

here’s the boy in all his glory. Still very timid so we’re all just sitting around him and talking/playing songs. So far songs is the only way for him to puff up and look more comfortable. His favourite from my observations is Moves Like Jagger :)

Attachments

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello: :congrats5: On your new baby

I use rope boings but I have sisal rope ones as they are meant to be better than cotton ones none of mine chew them I check them daily

I love balsa toys sola basswood Is a new found favourite thanks to seriously nuts amazing toys natural bird company as amazing toys too

cage as big as you can afford your cage isn’t tiny tho you could do with some more perches if you can