• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures legs/toes problem?

Deki

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi,my girlfriend gave me a baby lovebird a month ago (I don't know how old it is) about one month ago.
I noticed that he lacked some feathers on his chest that grew back over time and he stands strangely on his feet-closes his toes not well as other birds.

He flies well and looks healthy but I don't keep it still in a cage but in a tray with chipboard on the bottom because he remains at the bottom of the cage and seems to have the same legs problem.

I would like to know if he will learn to close his toes properly, anywaycase I will take him to a veterinarian soon.

(I took the first four photos about a month ago)

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I would like to know if he will learn to close his toes properly
Maybe not, but I don´t know.

Can he perch on your finger well?

The lack of feathers in that spot could have been siblings.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: Deki. Your Lovebird is a cutie pie! What is his name? It certainly does look like he has a problem with his feet. Splayed legs? I'd get him seen by an avian vet (important that the vet is avian) asap to see if anything can be done. That's great he can fly. I'd suggest putting a series of platforms in his cage rather than perches so that he can climb more easily. Perhaps cover them with vet wrap to make them softer. Plus pad out the bottom of his cage to cushion any falls. @Brittany0208 has a disabled parrot and has made a great home for him.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'd suggest putting a series of platforms in his cage rather than perches so that he can climb more easily.
If the bird can perch, perches would be better than platforms.

Plus pad out the bottom of his cage to cushion any falls.
I agree, a soft blanket would work well.

Deki

Can he perch on your finger well?
As you can see from the photos he can perch quite well on my finger but not perfecly because some of his fingers are often curled.He's good at climbing/flying on my shoulder with the help of his beak and he never falls.
:welcome2: Deki. Your Lovebird is a cutie pie! What is his name? It certainly does look like he has a problem with his feet. Splayed legs? I'd get him seen by an avian vet (important that the vet is avian) asap to see if anything can be done. That's great he can fly. I'd suggest putting a series of platforms in his cage rather than perches so that he can climb more easily. Perhaps cover them with vet wrap to make them softer. Plus pad out the bottom of his cage to cushion any falls. @Brittany0208 has a disabled parrot and has made a great home for him.
His/her name is Sky :) I don't know if he have splayed legs but doesn't seem to be his problem.

Thank you very much for your answers and suggestions,as soon as I can I take him to an avian vet.

tobias

Meeting neighbors
It looks to me like Metabolic Bone Disease, softening of the bones caused by low calcium and/or vitamin D. What is his diet like? It could be current or he could have had the deficiency from his diet before you got him and the bones hardened, but in a deformed way. Have his feet been exactly the same since you got him or have they gotten worse? Congrats on the new bird, he's adorable!

Deki

It looks to me like Metabolic Bone Disease, softening of the bones caused by low calcium and/or vitamin D. What is his diet like? It could be current or he could have had the deficiency from his diet before you got him and the bones hardened, but in a deformed way. Have his feet been exactly the same since you got him or have they gotten worse? Congrats on the new bird, he's adorable!
I don't know what his diet was before I got him(he was with his mother),the first days I gave him nutribird(a21) and then seeds.
I don't notice differences on his feet from the day I got him,sometimes he seems to close them slighty stronger.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Sky is such a beautiful little birdie! I agree that a vet visit would be ideal to make sure all is done (that can be done) to help her/him. I think having a few flat perches (in addition to a platform and natural perches) should help. Basically, have as many possible surface types for her/him as you can. Please keep us posted as I'm already in love with Sky! :heart: :hug8:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
S/he is adorable. Having a mobility-challenged bird myself, I would say to keep everything nice and soft to prevent foot sores, and make sure everything is easily accessible if s/he has trouble climbing. A lower cage instead of a tall one may be ideal.
Also, welcome! :)

tobias

Meeting neighbors
Wow he's really young then if you were initially feeding formula!

I'm not sure what's available where you live but if it is, adding pellets to your birds diet can really help them get all the vitamins/nutrients they need. Seeds as a large part of the diet can lead to deficiencies, especially when a bird is only picking out their favorites instead of eating everything in the mix. Also, when a bird is young is the best time to introduce them to pellets as well as different vegetables, since they can really get set in their ways as they get older. Leafy greens are great for adding calcium to the diet.