• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent leg mites

ericmcginn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
eric mcginn
i think my cockiteal has leg mites i scuduled a vet appoitment but only was available tuesday is this too late? can they live that long with leg mites? shes not using her feet much but still eating and drinking and hasnt lost weight

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'd be concerned that she's not using her feet. Not sure about leg mites. Seems chickens get them & they can transmit them to people. Ouch, I'm itchy just thinking about it. If its mites she'll make it til Tuesday but I'd be concerned its not something else as I can't see mites affecting her feet that much.

ericmcginn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
eric mcginn
ok i will call vet this morning and try to get appointment today but anyways i do have chickens so they could have been transmited that way?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
describe it to the vet & see what they say. Is the bird inside? Maybe you brought the mites in on your clothes?
You might have to treat the chickens & coop too if they have them.

ericmcginn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
eric mcginn
will make sure to describe with vet