• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Latex paint

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I know, I know, it's been a while, but things are super duper busy!

We're just about to get started on the painting, and ally birds are safe on a different floor bar two. My mom wants to keep Guz and Mims in her room while she paints her new room to be. I'm worried because it's only 15 feet away, but I'm having a hard time convincing her to let me move them.

She's worried that it will stress them out and thinks the paint won't be harmful as it's latex based, but I'm still worried. We're painting her room next, too, meaning if we keep them on this floor, they'll either have to go into my room, which is 7 feet away from her room, or into the room she's painting first.

I don't think I'm being paranoid by moving them, and did try to explain how delicate the avian respiratory system is to her, but she wanted me to ask you guys.

Please bear in mind that I'm gonna be showing her these responses! She's not a fragile old lady or anything, but I don't want to get thrown in the doghouse. :roflmao:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Once cured, latex paint is pretty safe. However, the fumes aren't.

The Toxicity of Latex Paint | Hunker

"The main issue with interior latex paint is not with the paint itself, but with the fumes released by the paint as it is drying and over time. The fumes are made of organic compounds, or VOCs, which are gases like benzene, formaldehyde and toluene. The actual gases depend on the formula of the paint. Generally, the more heavily tinted and glossy the paint, the more VOCs are released."

Garet

Real Name
Garet
@Mizzely my mom said thank you, now that she knows, she's letting me move them.

She wants to know how long they'll have to be kept downstairs once we're done painting.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
7-10 days is what I've heard before, but I'm not an expert by any means.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@Mizzely my mom said thank you, now that she knows, she's letting me move them.

She wants to know how long they'll have to be kept downstairs once we're done painting.

The paint is cured after 48 hours. The residual smell depends on how well you rinse the area with clean air. Setup 2 fans. One blowing outside as exhaust. The other drawing fresh air in to create an airflow.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
The paint is cured after 48 hours. The residual smell depends on how well you rinse the area with clean air. Setup 2 fans. One blowing outside as exhaust. The other drawing fresh air in to create an airflow.
My mom had something like that set up. The rooms we're painting all have wide windows, but I'm more than happy to keep them on the other floor for an extra week or two, like @AkasyaEllric suggested. So far, we're almost done with one of the three rooms. It'll be tough, but it's gotta be done.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Missed seeing your crazy flock stories!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Missed you Garet. I’m glad everything is moving forward!