• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Landing on Chandelier

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My one lovebird loves to land on places where she is not supposed to...(lamp shade, mirror etc.). We have placed stuffed animals in these places to deter her and it works quite well. She now likes to land on top of our chandelier. We can't place anything on it as it gets hot when it is on. Will she have enough sense to feel the heat of it when it is on and turn away from it?

If not we will have to make sure it is off when she is out. Kind of difficult though since it is a light we have on all the time.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Some people will hang long strips of curling ribbon to deter their birds from where they don't want them to visit.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
How hot does it get? I wouldn't risk her burning her feet. Personally I would replace the chandelier with a more bird friendly light. I had hot halogen wall lights in my last home and made cages for them out of chicken wire. A friend has a two chandeliers in his sitting room and he covers them with bin bags when his Amazon is out.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My cockatoo always lands on our chandelier. I just keep it turned off when he's out. I wish I could say I'm this great bird trainer and have taught him not to do it. But I haven't.........

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its fine to see a bird friendly home with ropes, nets, orbits and scarf holders hanging from the ceiling instead of the chandeliers and such.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
How hot does it get? I wouldn't risk her burning her feet. Personally I would replace the chandelier with a more bird friendly light. I had hot halogen wall lights in my last home and made cages for them out of chicken wire. A friend has a two chandeliers in his sitting room and he covers them with bin bags when his Amazon is out.
It does get quite hot. I'm going to see if I can get some LED lights for it. Darn nosey troublesome bird! LOL Our first guy is so calm and relaxed.... this one is a real troublemaker! Whenever I read about lovebirds being like that I didn't really believe it! LOL

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You say it is hot so I would keep it switched off when Mars is out of her cage. It´s not worth the risk of injury.

.(lamp shade, mirror etc.). We have placed stuffed animals in these places to deter her and it works quite well.
I´m imagining your house as some willy wonka teddy bear zoo cave with soft toys all over the place :lol:made me giggle anyway... :laugh:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
We use LED lights, but I'd also either replace it or put a cover on the switch if you can't keep them off.

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
I think lady jane is right, add some hanging toys and rope perches that she can play on outside her cage/ room she is in . that's what jazzy sits on when she is out of her cage her rope swing and the rope on top of her cage her play area.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Mars is definitely more mischievous. I do have some things for her to play with, but I will add more.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My cockatoo always lands on our chandelier. I just keep it turned off when he's out. I wish I could say I'm this great bird trainer and have taught him not to do it. But I haven't.........
And he would laugh at you if you tried. :D

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Nothing a piece of 2" pvc pipe wouldn't fix. Also to enhance the look of the chandelier. :D
I bought him a swing thing but our ceilings are really high and I don't want to put holes in them. Maybe a swing off the chandelier. Lol

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I bought him a swing thing but our ceilings are really high and I don't want to put holes in them. Maybe a swing off the chandelier. Lol
I think you missed what I was saying. If you ran the chain/cord he's hanging on through that PVC pipe he wouldn't be able to grab it and hang on.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I think you missed what I was saying. If you ran the chain/cord he's hanging on through that PVC pipe he wouldn't be able to grab it and hang on.
And you're tame now, sigh....