1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lady Gouldian finches and flight cages

Discussion in 'Canary & Finch Court' started by DianeMeadows, 8/5/18.

1. DianeMeadows

DianeMeadows Moving in

Diane Meadows
    I have 6 male Lady Gouldian finches. I had 3 males in oneflight cage and 3 in another. I want to put them all together in one flight cage and would like to know what dimensions I should be looking for. I know larger is better but what is the minimum size so I have a basis for starting my search.

THANKS!!

2. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

3. Serin

Serin Walking the driveway

I wouldn't go smaller than a 30 X 18 cage, but I have kept six finches in these cages many times and never had any issue.

DianeMeadows likes this.
  4. DianeMeadows

DianeMeadows Moving in

Diane Meadows
    Thank you, Serin. Since each set of 3 have had their own flights, it seems like they would get use to that space and putting them all together in a 32” x 24” space now seems tight. I did ask for input on minimum space requirements and I really appreciate your feedback. Since it will be their permanent age, I am going to give them 64” wide x 24” deep and 35”high. I just ordered a flight cage that matches the HQ one I have and will put them together using a space filler (netting or plastic strips or ?) between the two cage spaces and zip ties. Then they will have 64”W x 24”D x 35” H of flight space. Giving them room for flight, all of their food dishes, perches, hanging millet spray, etc.
    Thanks again!

5. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Vendor

Tanya
    Excellent choice, Diane!

I would never try for 6 (especially Males) in a 30x 18. That is simply too small, and its a good way to introduce stress which eventually leads to disease.

What you’ve chosen sounds great. Be sure to show us your setup when you’re done.

I have.... ohh maybe 30 Gouldians. 12 of them are in 2 x-large HQ cages zip tied together, so they have 7 feet long. I took off the bar sections on the ends and then put the cages right against each other. It will depend on whether yours is welded together. I think @taxidermynerd tried it with the same cage in a large, and her ends didn’t come off.

I hang lots of fake vines in my cages, which seems to really help them feel secure.

DianeMeadows and TikiMyn like this.
  6. Serin

They would always appreciate as much space as you can provide. When I was using 30 x 18 cages, my birds were let out a few hours a day.

DianeMeadows likes this.
  7. finchly

Tanya
    I might have misunderstood! Are we talking 30X18X18?

8. DianeMeadows

DianeMeadows Moving in

Diane Meadows
    @finchly, no. I have a HQ cage 32”x21”x35”. I just didn’t think it was going to be large enough to hold 6 male LG finches. Was double checking here with you avian experts about minimum size requirements. Then decided that I could double the space by getting another HQ cage and zip tying them together which would give them plenty of space.

finchly likes this.
  9. DianeMeadows

DianeMeadows Moving in

Diane Meadows
    @finchly could you, would you share a pic of your flight cage?

Mine is not welded together, it has screws so I can remove an end panel from both cages. They both come with a stand that will prevent them from being pushed together completely. I will need some sort of strip of something, netting, plastic, ?, to put in the gap. The gap is about 1 1/2-2” wide.

I am especially interested in how people are using silk plants in cages. Thanks!

finchly likes this.
  10. Serin

I don't think you would have had any issues with just one HQ cage, but the birds will love having twice as much space.

11. finchly

Tanya
    @DianeMeadows I'll have to dig up some pics later in the day for you.

I have tried live plants but they eat them faster than the plant can grow so it didn't work out too well. Also live plants are heavier - well I mean the pot/soil are heavy. Something to consider.

I'm thinking about your "tunnel" from one cage to the other. I have 2 on stands that stick out about 1.5" on the side of the cages so I see what you mean. I am looking at one now. Plexiglass would be nice but it would soil. Mesh is okay but you'd have to put something underneath to catch the mess...also if you double wrapped it then you'd have to worry about toes getting caught. Cardboard would work but is unattractive. Still thinking. :)

TikiMyn and DianeMeadows like this.
  12. DianeMeadows

DianeMeadows Moving in

Diane Meadows
    I am going to Home Depot tomorrow to look at acrylic or plastic strips or something that can be cut into strips but that are sturdy and/or mesh material choices. I can also install wood strips between the cages and zip tie them in place. Lots of options at a hardware store.

Clairecanary15 and finchly like this.
  13. Clairecanary15

Clairecanary15 Walking the driveway

Claire
    Hi

Ive had gap issues too so I used the thick material from a cheap roller blind. I cut it into long strips and weaved it through and fastened with a staple. I covered each staple with strong tap. If tight enough it works well. The beauty of the blind is it can be cleaned and comes in an array of colours.

finchly likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)