• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lady Gouldian finches and flight cages

DianeMeadows

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Diane Meadows
I have 6 male Lady Gouldian finches. I had 3 males in oneflight cage and 3 in another. I want to put them all together in one flight cage and would like to know what dimensions I should be looking for. I know larger is better but what is the minimum size so I have a basis for starting my search.

THANKS!!

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I wouldn't go smaller than a 30 X 18 cage, but I have kept six finches in these cages many times and never had any issue.

DianeMeadows

Real Name
Diane Meadows
Thank you, Serin. Since each set of 3 have had their own flights, it seems like they would get use to that space and putting them all together in a 32” x 24” space now seems tight. I did ask for input on minimum space requirements and I really appreciate your feedback. Since it will be their permanent age, I am going to give them 64” wide x 24” deep and 35”high. I just ordered a flight cage that matches the HQ one I have and will put them together using a space filler (netting or plastic strips or ?) between the two cage spaces and zip ties. Then they will have 64”W x 24”D x 35” H of flight space. Giving them room for flight, all of their food dishes, perches, hanging millet spray, etc.
Thanks again!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Excellent choice, Diane!

I would never try for 6 (especially Males) in a 30x 18. That is simply too small, and its a good way to introduce stress which eventually leads to disease.

What you’ve chosen sounds great. Be sure to show us your setup when you’re done.

I have.... ohh maybe 30 Gouldians. 12 of them are in 2 x-large HQ cages zip tied together, so they have 7 feet long. I took off the bar sections on the ends and then put the cages right against each other. It will depend on whether yours is welded together. I think @taxidermynerd tried it with the same cage in a large, and her ends didn’t come off.

I hang lots of fake vines in my cages, which seems to really help them feel secure.

Serin

They would always appreciate as much space as you can provide. When I was using 30 x 18 cages, my birds were let out a few hours a day.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I might have misunderstood! Are we talking 30X18X18?

DianeMeadows

Real Name
Diane Meadows
@finchly, no. I have a HQ cage 32”x21”x35”. I just didn’t think it was going to be large enough to hold 6 male LG finches. Was double checking here with you avian experts about minimum size requirements. Then decided that I could double the space by getting another HQ cage and zip tying them together which would give them plenty of space.

DianeMeadows

Real Name
Diane Meadows
@finchly could you, would you share a pic of your flight cage?

Mine is not welded together, it has screws so I can remove an end panel from both cages. They both come with a stand that will prevent them from being pushed together completely. I will need some sort of strip of something, netting, plastic, ?, to put in the gap. The gap is about 1 1/2-2” wide.

I am especially interested in how people are using silk plants in cages. Thanks!

Serin

@finchly, no. I have a HQ cage 32”x21”x35”. I just didn’t think it was going to be large enough to hold 6 male LG finches. Was double checking here with you avian experts about minimum size requirements. Then decided that I could double the space by getting another HQ cage and zip tying them together which would give them plenty of space.
I don't think you would have had any issues with just one HQ cage, but the birds will love having twice as much space.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@DianeMeadows I'll have to dig up some pics later in the day for you.

I have tried live plants but they eat them faster than the plant can grow so it didn't work out too well. Also live plants are heavier - well I mean the pot/soil are heavy. Something to consider.

I'm thinking about your "tunnel" from one cage to the other. I have 2 on stands that stick out about 1.5" on the side of the cages so I see what you mean. I am looking at one now. Plexiglass would be nice but it would soil. Mesh is okay but you'd have to put something underneath to catch the mess...also if you double wrapped it then you'd have to worry about toes getting caught. Cardboard would work but is unattractive. Still thinking. :)

DianeMeadows

Real Name
Diane Meadows
I am going to Home Depot tomorrow to look at acrylic or plastic strips or something that can be cut into strips but that are sturdy and/or mesh material choices. I can also install wood strips between the cages and zip tie them in place. Lots of options at a hardware store.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
I am going to Home Depot tomorrow to look at acrylic or plastic strips or something that can be cut into strips but that are sturdy and/or mesh material choices. I can also install wood strips between the cages and zip tie them in place. Lots of options at a hardware store.
Hi

Ive had gap issues too so I used the thick material from a cheap roller blind. I cut it into long strips and weaved it through and fastened with a staple. I covered each staple with strong tap. If tight enough it works well. The beauty of the blind is it can be cleaned and comes in an array of colours.

DianeMeadows

Real Name
Diane Meadows
I found something called pet screen material at a fanric store. It is like screen material but made of a soft plastic type fabric. It was easy to cut. I ised large zip ties to secure both cages together. Then the pet screen strips were ised in the two side and one top gap. I used small zip ties to secure the fabric material. It is secure, strong and now the LGs have twice thespace to fly. I used metal clippers to remove all of the metal from two ends of the cages, then covered the rough parts with a silver duct tape. The cage is platinum so silver duct tape blends in perfectly and is thick enough to smooth over any sharp edges.
I found that the LGs now use more levels than before. Initially, they stayed higher in the cage, not I find them on the floor and lower rungs.

We are all happy!

Serin

It may or may not be an issue for Gouldians but be cautious with pet screen, or any screen. I had a spice finch (a finch with very long curved nails that grow very quickly) get his toe stuck in a window screen once, and I found him hanging there trying to untwist himself.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That’s great Diane! Thanks for the info.

DianeMeadows

Real Name
Diane Meadows
Thank youmfor the info, Serin. I will keep an eye on them. I am not sure what else I can use. Any suggestions?

Serin

Hardware cloth, sold to make aviaries and similar things at hardware stores or even walmart, is safer but may be hard to work with.

DianeMeadows

Real Name
Diane Meadows
I will look into hardware cloth and def give it some consideration. Thank you.
Since I have had the two flight cages put together, the activity level for my sweet LGs has been on a higher level. They can actually get in some fly time by flying from ine end of the cage to the other end and loop back. That is 64” of fly space must one way. When they loop back it’s 128”!! Good exercise for them. They explore more, spend time at all levels of the cages. I am very happy I did this for them.