• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Korbel's Laser Therapy

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Today was laser number 4 of 6.

Korbel did seem to have some weakness on that leg after the last treatment. I say weakness because he seemed to have no pain and was leaning into the limp. It went away that same evening. My vet said that the laser should have no such effect and he must have struggled in the towel a bit. Today I watched more closely. The last few days he has been pretty crabby. Yesterday he finally felt himself again. All seems well this evening. He had no such weakness in his leg after the treatment and he seems to be in a very pleasant happy mood. He has been jumping from tree to tree and flying a bit, stealing everyone's dinner even if he does not like it. That's my boy. XOXOXO

Two more treatments to go and then I believe the recommendation will be removing celebrex and doing laser every two weeks. If all stays well they will only want laser once a month. That's looking pretty far ahead but I think that is the best case scenario for now. Once we remove the celebrex I'm going to put him on a small dose of ACV daily. It was recommended to me and with a bit of reading I think it's a worth while effort. It can really help with joint and tendon issues. I'm sure my vet will agree.

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
Glad he is doing better, I had if I remember right ultrasound done on my knee several times. It felt good when they were actually doing it but it didn't really help. I also tried the ACV myself and it does the same things in birds as it does humans, start with a very very small dose as it made me very sick to my stomach.
Good Luck Korbel keep getting better

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Today was the last laser in the set of 6. He was an angel and did not move a muscle the entire procedure.

His leg still cracks, actually I have even heard the right side cracking some too BUT he has had no pain since the start. Tomorrow I'm going to the vets to talk about ongoing treatment and most likely lower or take him off the celebrex. I have noticed a few things different. Once the celebrex is removed I feel I will have a better take on if the laser has helped or not and if these new things continue....

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Thank you to everyone sending him some thoughts.:swoon:
20150127_170055_resized.jpg

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
aww, sweet baby Korbel:heart::hug8::heart:

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Look at that cutie face:swoon: Hope all the rest of the journey for both of you go well.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::heart::hug8:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'm hoping you notice improvement in your boy!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
No pain? Wow, that's awesome news. Here's to hoping this continue to works well for him.

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
No Pain is great, I know leg and hip pain can be horrible. Don't know if this could be the same thing with Korbel or any bird but I have a condition where I have soft spots in my cartilage and those soft spots wear down and cause ridges, when these ridges rub together right or should I say wrong, you can hear the snap crackle pop across the room. And sometimes the pain it bad. So far cortisone shots have helped me.
Keep getting better Korbel :hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Korbel is on and has had no pain since the start of the celebrex. I honestly can not say the laser has done anything to minimize the pain without seeing him off the medication.

What I have noticed is in behavior. In the evening Korbel spends every moment he can on Joe or I. The last few weeks he has been happy to sit in his tree and play with toys. Sounds simple but that is not Korbel. I have also noticed him choosing different landing spots. He usually does short flights to solid objects, soft landings spots when he is in pain. The last few days he has been flying to ropes and atoms, objects that swing and move. I have not seen him do that in well over a year. Third and most strange, when preening his tail he always grabs the end tail feather and pulls his whole tail toward him to preen it. The last week or so he seems to be reaching back there without issue. He has also been using his preening gland which I have never seen him do.

Does it mean anything? I have no idea but I hope so. My vet wants him to continue the celebrex at a half dose for another week then lower the dose again for a week. He also wants to continue the laser once a week for a few weeks then to decrease to once every two weeks and so on. I'm staying on this path until I see it not working.....

I'm hopeful. That's more than I have been in a while. Today we started the half dose and I saw no changes. :) It's hard to hold your breath for so long....

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine preens the same way, tail feathers first. As far as the atom maybe Korbel was in pain and couldnt fly. Sounds like a normal bird to me. :cool:

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
He is such a beautiful bird. (Watched that adorable video in the other thread). Glad to hear that the treatments seem to be helping with his pain. I hope that eventually you all can figure out the cause to this!

He sure is a trooper. :)