• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kiwi is FLYING!

Birbs&Poodles

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julia
I'm so excited! My little girl Kiwi is starting to fly again! I got her about 4 months ago, and at that time she was clipped too short. For a couple of months, she could not fly at all, and just got her exercise running around on the ground. FINALLY, about 2 weeks ago, I noticed she was gliding rather than falling when she was perched outside the cage. And just about a week ago, I have seen her become fully flighted, taking a full zip across the living room before flying back to the cage! Of course my poor baby doesn't have a lot of confidence yet, and her landings are not always great, but I'm so happy she's got her flight feathers back. I can tell there's still a few more that have to grow in, but I'm just so happy for her that the wait is over.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Yaaaaaaay! Go Kiwi! :heart:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's wonderful news!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Go Kiwi. Go Kiwi.

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
This happened to my budgie as well. I decided to clip when I first got her, the breeder told me that it'd grow back in 6 months. To my delight, Nua began flying to the couch after we refused to help her there (because she kept on chewing on the money tree). This brought a lot of joy to us and we decided to let her have fun on there because she flew around

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats to Kiwi and you! :)
Of course my poor baby doesn't have a lot of confidence yet, and her landings are not always great, but I'm so happy she's got her flight feathers back.
There will be a certain amount of adjustment time, for sure. Buddy, our conure, still, at times, will barrel-roll a landing. He doesn't hurt himself...well, except for his dignity. ;) He rolls, then comes upright..and grumbles to himself...naturally. We adopted him fro a sanctuary setting that had to clip wings for a matter of safety. It's actually funny to see...but we try not to laugh because Buddy is such a serious type bird...;)

Last edited: