• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kiwi doing the mating posture and little chirps more often

Suzy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzanne
Hi guys, i just wanted to ask for your opinion on what to do in this situation

Kiwi is a year and a half and I've seen her do this every now and then, like maybe once in the week but now its very constant and its starting to worry me. Every time she sits at her stand she'll go down to her food bowl sits in it and does those little chirps with her tail up high.

We've just started winter here in Australia so i always have the the heaters on, maybe thats setting off this behavior?
Ive tried to search up on it and read it could lead to her laying eggs? Which i really hope is not true lol
What can i do to stop this behavior or minimise it?

Thanks in advance :)

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
Luna did that when I first got her (which was Jan this year). I think it was just a new environment. Maybe she is scared of something? I'm not sure though, just trying to give an answer that might be something? I hope all is well :loveshower:

Suzy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzanne
Thanks for the quick reply :)
Ive had her for over a year, nothing new around her
Only thing i can link this to, based on things I've read is this is a behavior started from heating and lighting. I just dont know what to do to stop it, i dont want her to get sick or start laying eggs. She never use to do it so often. Now any time she eats, shell jump in her bowl and do this behavior until someone stops her or something distracts her.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
My sunny does this a lot. Unfortunately eggs usually follow when she does this, I live in Florida it's usually hot here very rarely do we need heaters, maybe they are fooling her into thinking it's spring. I'd have tried all the recommended things and the only thing that seems to really do the trick is reducing the time that she sees light , we try to keep her covered up at least 12 hrs. Try Reducing the amount of light she sees might stop her from doing it.

Last edited:

Suzy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzanne
Will give that a try for sure thank you!

After sunny lays eggs, what do you do with them or with her. Wouldnt know how to handle that..

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
I think I read somewhere that is a mating display?
Like her calling to a male or something?

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Your welcome,We Keep them in there until she done laying on them and becomes bored with them, then we take them out. If you remove them to soon she will just replace with more, we made that mistake when she first started laying. The olny time it's not recommended is if the egg is broken sunny always breaks her eggs so we've had to purchase dummy eggs off-line .

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I remove the eggs, but I also remove the "nesting spot" and have never had any issues with any of the hens becoming chronic egg layers... if necessary, I've also changed the diet, but haven't had to take any extreme measures to stop egg laying.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie