• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kitty Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oh my goodness!
:faint:
So a very long story short, I was guilted into taking this black cat on Halloween that an acquaintance had adopted from my parents two years prior. I was told that this cat was completely "up to date on everything, except she's not declawed".
Well, turns out she isn't spayed, either! :mad: I volunteer with a rescue so I can get a low-cost spay for her done. So as soon as she came out of heat and stopped her wretched yowling, I set up the appointment. Well, I brought her in, and it turns out that she is in heat AGAIN!

There was only like two weeks tops in between the heats. Is this normal? Can cats do this (and do they often?) Her yowling is driving me up a wall, she is such a tiny cat but man she makes SO much noise when she is like this. :bash:
Now, my cat that I had that ran away this summer had something called FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease). I know it messed with her cycles and it took several attempts of scheduling before we finally caught her when she was ok to have her surgery and wasn't in heat or suffering with a UTI. I'm just concerned this kitty is suffering from the same condition, but I'm of course a bit biased since Amelia was the only cat I've ever really had and taken care of so I might be putting her very specific on a general thing.

Anyone have any insight?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Has she had a well animal check? Did she have her shots? My Tux kitten went into heat four times in two months when she first became mature. Now she does heat four times a year. She is actually a hermaphrodite and cannot get pregnant; but I have no in tact males, so there is no risk of her getting pregnant any way. I am saving for her surgery to remove her ovaries and any other parts that may be in there. Vet's not sure what her inside set up is. We just know she is having heats, has a mini junk and no testicles. Yes, first heats can be often and close together, but it may be something like an infection; not likely, but it may.

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
Unlike dogs which have heat cycles twice a year, cats are polyestrus, they constantly cycle in and out of heat. Because of this vets don't usually wait until cats are out of heat like they do with dogs. I know from 9 years of working in vet clinics, I never saw a problem occur due to a cat being in heat during a spay. There is a little bit higher risk due to enlarged blood vessels and engorged tissue, but from 9 years of working in vet clinics, I never saw a problem occur due to a cat being in heat during a spay.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ai, yikes.
I know with my previous kitty they couldn't do it while she was in heat, but I think that had something to do with the FLUTD.
I've made the appointment. I just want her spayed ASAP so this yowling nonsense can stop and she can go back to being a happy, quiet kitty.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Whether or not a vet will spay a cat when in heat is apparently a personal decision. Yes, there is a slightly higher incidence of complications from the vascularity of the organs, but it is generally safer than spaying a dog in similar circumstances. The more risky procedure is doing the spay while the cat is pregnant, but of course the earlier in the pregnancy, the better. I guess then it isn't a spay and is actually an abortion. I did decide on this course of action once when my three half siamese kittens all came in heat at two and a half months old and their brother promptly mated with ALL of them one after the other...:omg: All three of the girls were fine after the surgery and brother got neutered the next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.