• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kitty advil??

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
So I just watched my cat lean into my heater and she singed her ear a tinie bit, not enough for a vet visit but it made me think... is there like animal advil? Like if you see your dog stub their toe and it doesn't warrant a vet visit but you know theyre in slight pain... it seems cruel just to let them suffer when I myself would like take an asprin or something.

Just a random thought

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
I don't think there's anything over the counter but ice would probably feel pretty nice if she'd allow you too. My dog once tried to eat a bee and we fed him ice cubes to make his tongue feel better :hehe:

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
No and most of the OTC pain relievers are very bad for cats and dads. A warm compress and some catnip will probably help get her mind off it!

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
This would be a subject that even if you get a response, you need to ask your vet :)
Unless you have a drug guide for animals and know how to properly dose. There are OTC meds my vet has specifically dosed on specific cases, but I don't think it would be in my best interest to discuss them here. I am not a vet and I'd say in the majority of cases it isn't a good idea ;)

From what I understand of nursing medicine (which is minimal), rounding values doesn't usually happen so it's something you'd want someone with experience to do. Then again, I did have a pharmacy mess up and write 0.4 cc dose instead of 0.04 cc dose. I think I was a lot nicer about that than I should have been.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I would not risk any otc pain meds for a cat without consulting a vet. Some of those meds in hi doses for humans can cause liver or other organ damage. Who knows what dosage could be dangerous or lethal for a cat. No way to figure out to cut a pill into 10 or 20 equal pieces even if you knew a safe dosage.

The best thing to do for a burn is to apply cold/ ice water compresses right after. It draws out heat from the tissues & lessens swelling.
Aloe could be soothing the first day.

Singed? That sounds a bit serious. What kind of heater? Is the burn only reddened? Singed could be a dark crusty burn which would be a very deep burn. You have to be careful what you put on that & there could be some dead tissue or chance of infection.

Ear is such a small thin skin. Can you put a screen or something around the heater (safe distance) to make it less likely to come in contact with?

:sadhug2:

Last edited:

alicat

Real Name
Ali
I would not risk any otc pain meds for a cat without consulting a vet. Some of those meds in hi doses for humans can cause liver or other organ damage. Who knows what dosage could be dangerous or lethal for a cat. No way to figure out to cut a pill into 10 or 20 equal pieces even if you knew a safe dosage.

The best thing to do for a burn is to apply cold/ ice water compresses right after. It draws out heat from the tissues & lessens swelling.
Aloe could be soothing the first day.

Singed? That sounds a bit serious. What kind of heater? Is the burn only reddened? Singed could be a dark crusty burn which would be a very deep burn. You have to be careful what you put on that & there could be some dead tissue or chance of infection.

Ear is such a small thin skin. Can you put a screen or something around the heater (safe distance) to make it less likely to come in contact with?

:sadhug2:
It is black, not red. The it's the very edge of her ear so the skin is so ridiculously thin. The size is so small I can't compare it to anything, she literally just leaned into it so there's just a tinie black line almost. Not along her ear even, it's maybe the size of a grain of rice.

It's an awful heater, I don't get why it gets so hot. It's not at my house so it won't happen again - it's at her pet sitters (I awkwardly said mine because I used to live here-it's my ex boyfriend. Woops).

It happened with one of my foster kittens when they got adopted, the new mom sent me a picture but it was the WHOLE side of her ear, my jaw dropped. She actually laid her head against it to try and get warm :arghh: taught her not to get to close to a heater. Hers healed quickly though, you can't tell anymore.

I wouldn't actually give my pet random painkillers without talking to a vet, I was just thinking hey we stub our toe and take something - it seems weird that when our pets do it we can't help! I did put a cool rag on it and when I looked at it again just now she didn't cringe. I think her prides more hurt than anything and I'm just glad I don't have a heater like this at home

Last edited: