• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kira dive bombs/Occasional aggression

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Hey all - Kira is my very spoiled IRN girl who just turned 2 in April (which is also when I got her). From what the breeder told me - she was returned by a couple as Kira had 'attacked' the husband and dog. I am dubious of this claim as she has a habit of landing on anyone who enters the house - but not attacking. I was told she used to say her name, but no longer can. She does seem to be trying to talk.

Now - the issues at hand. It's only been a few times over the last couple of weeks, but she has obviously dive bombed me a few times lately after receiving food (perhaps something she didn't like) or when I've approached her to see if she wanted scritches only to have her bluff and then bomb. Her bluffing has also increased and she nipped my brother-in-law on the cheek yesterday (though honestly - his fault - she likes human food, he let her on his shoulder and didn't move her off, she tried to get the food - got his cheek).

I can tell when she's feeling moody - her head puffs up and she leans downwards. That usually means she's about to bluff or bite. The dive bombing is completely random - I cannot read when she's about to do it. I am planning on clicker training her, but we're in the middle of trying to move and lately have frequently had to cage her/move her cage during showings. She really does not like her cage. I'm worried she's starting to associate me with that. I hate to put her in there and she usually only goes in at bed time or during a showing. When we move I absolutely plan to set up an area with toys hanging from the ceiling. I'm just wondering if there's anyone with ideas on how to help her with all this chaos at home right now. I try to keep her on a schedule and she will often fly over to where my budgie, Pi, and Parrotlet, Kalypso, are. She likes to 'hang out' with them, but Kalypso gets soooo riled up.

Anyways - I'd love to hear tips or tricks to help her. She didn't ask for all this.

Thanks in advance!
Gwen

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
I went home last night and...she was a HUGE cuddle bug!!! I'm wondering if she's just been upset that I've been busy doing housework and haven't had a lot of snuggle time. Even this morning she was way more affectionate than normal! Also - she wants to nibble my teeth...yes, my teeth. Could that be a sign of trust? Affection? Off to Google!