• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping Curious Out of Trouble...

Wolf

Jogging around the block
Yes, that is the way that I have always understood it, step up whether to your hand, arm or to a stick/ perch is a small part of target training as a whole.

EvaBird

Strolling the yard
Are you target training or stick training her?

If target training, can you teach her to step up to your hand via target training?

Make sure she has ways to forage to keep her busy.

Target training her and she gets it but she jabs as soon as she sees a hand approaching her unless for scritches "lovies" I will keep working on it.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
In addition to teaching her to step up I would go back over her area and make adjustments. A macaw should not want to sleep on the floor. They usually want a nice high perch for comfort. Looking over your perches they could be better size and better configured. If you are going for cage free start in a corner and build out from there. The cage you have in the corner is much too small and I doubt she uses it for much other than grabbing food and going to the top. Nice thick wooden perches may help her, also some macaw size wooden toys. I would work more on her area and then she might be less inclined to "travel" for a while. Work on your relationship from there.

EvaBird

Strolling the yard
In addition to teaching her to step up I would go back over her area and make adjustments. A macaw should not want to sleep on the floor. They usually want a nice high perch for comfort. Looking over your perches they could be better size and better configured. If you are going for cage free start in a corner and build out from there. The cage you have in the corner is much too small and I doubt she uses it for much other than grabbing food and going to the top. Nice thick wooden perches may help her, also some macaw size wooden toys. I would work more on her area and then she might be less inclined to "travel" for a while. Work on your relationship from there.
She doesn't sleep on the floor. She climbs the perches and play then goes to bed but when exploring she will not go on the perches. He room has changed since those picks and there are several sized perches for her. She plays in that parrot room, it is outside her parrot room that she prefers the floor.