• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping a bird in the bedroom?

wolfdog01

Meeting neighbors
I'm not too sure where I should ask this, so please tell me if this is the wrong place!
Okay, so I have a Quaker in my bedroom, her cage sits on one side of the room and my bed on the other. I deep clean her cage once a week and vaccum the carpet. If she poops outside her cage I clean it up right away. I have her cage partially covered since she is in a corner of the room and I cover it fully at night. I also have an air filter at the corner of the foot of my bed. I work 5 days a week and it's usually about 8 hours per shift. I don't think I'm allergic to anything. There is about 2 yards (42 inches) of distance between my bed and the cage, maybe a little more.
Having said all of this, I have heard of people getting a kind of lung disease from having pet birds in their rooms. She isn't a dusty bird so I'm happy about that, but I read that there is something in their feces that can hurt you? Or if you spend too much time with them, then you'll inhale their debris and get issues? I'm suddenly very paranoid about the idea that I could get sick from having a pet in my room, my parents have already said that there is no other place in the house to keep her.
Thoughts or tips to help?!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Keep the dust down as much as possible by cleaning cleaning and more cleaning. Nothing can ever be clean enough!! Don’t leave debris, food or poop laying about for long periods of time etc.

I believe it is called ‘bird keepers lungs’ or something along those lines.

My way of thinking is....I clean up as much and often as I can, don’t leave the poopy floor/paper for long before changing it and use an air purifier 24/7 so I am doing the best I can to minimise any potential human and bird health issues.

Hopefully some other members will chime in soon with their knowledge and opinions to also help you out.
:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Quakers aren't considered "dusty" birds and as long as you clean her cage, dust your room, etc. I think you should be fine. My understanding is that typically people who get birdkeeper's lungs have a number of birds and poor room ventilation, etc. I don't believe it's overly common.

wolfdog01

Meeting neighbors
Thanks ya'll for the reassurance! I'd love to know more people's opinion on this too

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Fri I am asking because I don't know your story, all I know is the picture in your avatar. Is that your quaker's normal cage? If it is a travel cage, all good -- however if that is your bird's permanent cage there may be another concern in your bedroom set up. :blink:

We are here to help so don't be shy sharing. :fairy:

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I agree the current cage is too small. I have had my Amazon in my bedroom for 7 years and had no problem. I currently have my CAG in my room and I daily clean his cage and keep up any food off the floor.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Simon, my rainbow lorikeet, has his house (no cage) in my bedroom. He sleeps in his house and spends some time there during the day but his playroom and his perch in the lounge are where he poops. I have a smokers cough and I don't think it is being made any worse by Simon being in my bedroom, our bedroom. I wouldn't be able to sleep at all if Simon was in another room, him being totally cageless.

wolfdog01

Meeting neighbors
No no, that's not her permanent cage, that was the day I was taking her to the vet and we chilled outside for a while lol. It's just her travel cage, which she hates with a burning passion. Here is her real cage. It's a little barren of toys because she doesn't rreally know how to play with them, I got her from a neglected home.
IMAG0903.jpg

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Trust me I know how you feel. I have a rescue as well and he is scared of everything. I need some suggestions. How did you get her into another cage? I want to take my parrot out of town and I want to put him in a smaller cage. Of course he is afraid of it.

wolfdog01

Meeting neighbors
Honestly, the first time it took me like an hour and a half. I put her food bowl in it and kept shuffling it around and acting like I was eating some of it. I put her and the travel cage on top of the big one and inched it closer ever so slowly. She finally got the will power enough to put most of her body into the cage before I closed it, I had it held open with a toothpick. The next time she crawled in for food, but recently I had to gently hold her wings and lower her onto the perch. She screams and flies around whenever I take it out. I'm opting for a harness to take her outside and the small cage for vet visits and stuff.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
When I got Valentines new cage it was assembled in the kitchen. When I would give her medicine and she was on my shoulder she would always look at the cage. One day, before I knew it, she had climbed to the new cage. When it was time for the switch I put her on her playstand, switched cages and she went right in. I also put the same toys that were in the old cage in her new one.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Jenks is in our room too. We have an air purifier and we clean a lot, a lot!! I keep papers or incontinence pads under all of his "hot spots". I bought a steam cleaner that we now use frequently on his cage and the floor. I also keep a spray bottle of F10 and a roll of paper towels in our room in case he goes on something like my night stand. I try to inspect toys at least every other day for poop build up/safety problems as well. :2cents:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton's room is our bedroom. Hardwood floors there are easy to clean...and newspaper is always placed (and changed) there regularly. We also have an air purifier running in there...